1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horse ?? Stallion to Gelding

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Karrie13, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a question. My mother-in-law has a 13 year old horse that was gelded 1 ½ years ago. He was used for breeding before; in fact my mare had a foal of his 2 years ago. Well, he is now living at my house for the winter (our cows are at their place) in the pasture with my mare. I caught him “completely” breeding my mare today, a couple of times. I know she can’t get pregnant or anything what I want to know is if anyone has any tips on stopping this behavior. The neighborhood kids don’t need to witness this.

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Take him out of the pen... Honestly I'm not sure how to stop that behavior. Tell your mare to quit teasing him [​IMG] Being 13, he's got a lot of testosterone built up, and he may actually never stop "breeding" mares, although his behavior should slow down a lot. I've known geldings as old as 29 still "breeding" some of their favorite girls. That particular boy was gelded early in life, and had not been used for breeding. It's nature... Our neighbors witness it a lot in May - June [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry, wish I could give you better advice!

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    We have geldings that will act this way, even though they have never bred mares. The only way we've found to deal with it is to pasture them separately. They will sometimes still try over the fence.

4. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Yep Yep as others said you are out of luck as far as teaching him not to. Distance and a super good fence is the only pretty much the only option from my experiance.

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Shock collar... Down boy DOWN !
    [​IMG]

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:Funny... We actually hooked 2 shock collars together to use on my mini who we couldn't for the life of us, get to stay in the fence, which was electric!! It worked... He'd start sniffing (next would be running in between the strands of electric fence, which did work, and was on) and we would zap him. He stopped escaping and we could relax when we left the house [​IMG]

7. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Looks like I am pretty much out of luck then! Ok, I only have on pasture divided into two that connect to a holding pen which is where the water, shelter, and food is. So I guess I either have to deal with it or send him back to my Mother-in-laws.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Loved the shock collar suggestion. [​IMG]

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    DH's old Appaloosa gelding used to breed my Arab/Saddlebred mare quite frequently. He was 11 when we bought him, she was 9 and he had been gelded since he was 4. The people we bought him from had only geldings.

Just make sure you do enough groundwork with him that he respects YOU at least. At yearly shots, Coggins, you may want the vet to check your mare just in case she gets a vaginal infection from him, just as if she were a breeding mare. I'm not implying that your gelding is dirty, but my mare got one from DH's horse. One medicated douche and five days of antibiotics cleared it up, but it was still a hassle.

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    What does anybody think about using "salt peter" or "niter" as the old timers called it? Will

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry, but I've known a number of geldings who will complete the full act (except of course for actually fathering offspring) and I know of absolutely nothing that will make them stop doing it. Well, I take that back, starvation or severe ill-health can do it, or having an extremely grumpy mare try to kill 'em, but I do not recommend either as intelligent or reliable cures [​IMG]

All you can really do is either turn him out only with other geldings, or if with mares, make sure the sheath is cleaned regularly to decrease the chance of causing vaginal infections.

Of course he should not even be *thinking* of this while you are working with him, and if he does, should be corrected and retrained just as you would with a stallion.

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by