1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

horse sweet feed as a treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abhaya, Dec 19, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    would house sweet feed work as a treat? I am trying to think of a way to keep my free range flock way from the house. I was thinking if I could put some kind of treat they like in the woods behind the barn they wouls stay there better. What kind of food/treat could I toss up in the woods to keep them interested in staying out there. any ideas.

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
  3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think horse sweet feed must be a big treat for them, as they all run and clean up after my horses. Its the first place they run when I let them out.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

My chickens always swarmed around the feed buckets when there was sweet feed to be dropped by sloppy horses. lol

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
  6. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    My spoiled free range hens eat their flock block only as a last resort. They really like it when I mix up a batch of warm mash for them when I do the horses (soak a scoop of equine feed with hot water, throw in a handful of scratch). The ponies don't get sweet feed, so the hens won't either, but the equine feed and scratch combo is pretty close.

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We have never fed sweet feed to our chickens but they do eat any that get spilled or left by the horses. It hasn't hurt them. I don't think it would be good for them to eat a whole lot of it though because of the salt and other stuff.

8. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Mine love horse sweet feed. I use it as a supplement, soaking a fistful in hot water with some of their regular feed, table scraps, leftover veggie water from last night's supper, and some scratch grains.
    With our hard Michigan winter weather, the extra energy the molasses in the sweet feed helps my girls stay warm and producing.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We fed our sheep a balanced feed that we had mixed with a little molasses as a binder in the winter, in addition to hay. When the grain bucket came out, the chickens went wild for it. They'd stand below the sheep and catch any that fell out of their mouths. [​IMG]

My parrot loves anything made with molasses, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by