horse sweet feed ok for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by patandchickens, Sep 10, 2007.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a bunch of 12% protein sweet feed that it appears I am not going to be giving to the horses before it gets stale/rancid/ucky. (Sweet feed being mostly oatsand corn with molasses). Would it be ok as treats for the chickens? And if so, what strikes y'all as a suitable amount to give them per day (3 chickens, currently on lay crumbles and surplus tomatoes and whatever bugs wander into their tractor)?

Thanks,

Pat

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just 3 chickens? Maybe a handful or so a day.

3. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi the only thing I can warn you about this, cause I do it, is that it will change the color of there poo. usually an orangeish color, it comes from the molasses. But if you don't know what it is it could make you alittle worried. [​IMG]

4. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    It is too bad you don't live closer to me, because I could use the sweet feed for my horses. [​IMG]

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    My chickens run when I feed the horses so that they can catch what falls. They will love it and it is fine as a treat.

6. Crissie

Crissie Chillin' With My Peeps

So glad that you posted about the poop color. I've been sharing about a handful of COB (sweet feed) per day with our girls and of course came here a-searchin' when I started to see the orangish poop. BYC is the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by