Horse trailer for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1Chickchick, Sep 6, 2013.

1. 1Chickchick

1Chickchick New Egg

May 9, 2012
    I've been thinking about using a metal horse trailer for a coop. Anyone have any ideas about whether this is a good idea or not? Would ventilation be a problem?

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

The problem I see with using a horse trailer for a coop is that the metal would get very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter.

I would suggest getting some free wood pallets and building a chicken coop.

3. 1Chickchick

1Chickchick New Egg

May 9, 2012
    I thought I'd paint the top white to reflect sun in the summer. Our winters are not too cold. I'm not much of a builder. :(

4. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

If you parked the trailer under a shaded area, it might work. You will need to put wire over the openings to keep predators out and have a way to close them off when it is cold. You still need a little ventilation in the winter, but you don't want air blowing in on your chickens.

Do you plan to allow the chickens to free-range, or will you build a run on to the trailer?

5. charliethezero

charliethezero Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    East central MN
    I used my horse trailer for a temp coop this spring/summer when I had an evil racoon raiding the coop. It worked out fine. I had the windows slid open all the time, it did get really warm but if you have a stock trailer with slits vs closed windows it would be better. I also had chickens in it during winter and they couldn't care about the minnesota cold.

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

If chickens were locked in a metal horse trailer during the day here in Texas, I think the chickens would die from the heat.

I know it is cooler up north, but I am guessing you let your chickens out of the coop during the day, right?

7. 1Chickchick

1Chickchick New Egg

May 9, 2012
    I would be sure to let them out early in the morning. We do have lots of raccoons and possums around here.

8. 1Chickchick

1Chickchick New Egg

May 9, 2012
    I would build a large run at one end of the trailer. And be sure to put hardware cloth over all windows. There is partial shade most of the day too. I think the chicks might like it. :)

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

10. 1Chickchick

1Chickchick New Egg

May 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by