Horse trainer suggestions

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
Just thought I'd ask if n e one here knows of any good/honest/reasonably priced ones in Oh/In.
Just thought I'd take a shot if someone might know of one here.
Thanks in advance!
Angela

bump.
big_smile.png
. i dont know. sorry

I can see, what are you needing? Is it training from the ground up, behavior issues, English, Western?????

Where in OH?

Stephanie

Hi,
I don't think its "way" too general, You either know someone who works with horses or not. I would think all horses are started the same- ground work, saddling, walk-trot-lope-back, whoa,- and then you decide your disipline and move to specialization training, etc.
anyhooo,

Steph,
Looking for suggestions on STARTing one, walk-trot, lope, under saddle, western.
No behavior problems.
Seems when ever we find one, we then hear the horror stories of them beating the horses, tying them all sorts of ways, or simply charging you and never even riding your horse at all. Seems pretty prevalent in the training circles.
So just thought I'd ask for helpful suggestions, no different than if someone came up to anyone in person and said, "
Hey do you know any horse trainers, or someone who works with horses?" People would say, "oh yea, so n so trains these, and so n so does this, I heard there was one over there named==whatever==but I don't know them. etc..
Thanks anyhooo folks,
Take care

Quote:
How were we supposed to know that the goal was to start a young horse, specifically? I mean, people often look for trainers for all sorts of other situations, not just that. Who could tell?

Yeah, if the question is about wanting to send a horse off to be started, then discipline doesn't matter so much. However, in that case, what IS likely to matter a fair bit (or ought to) is LOCATION, because if you aren't equipped to start a horse yourself then you most likely are going to also need some guidance from the person who does start it on how to CONTINUE with it. So it is an Awfully Good Idea to make sure that you can WATCH some of the horse's training (good idea anyhow, for 'quality control reasons', if you are not personally extremely familiar with the trainer's work) and PARTICIPATE once the horse has started coming along.

Sending a horse to have <whatever> installed and then expecting him to be perfectly-adapted to your own style when he comes back does not often work too well. There is a LOT to be said for being able to have the trainer work with both you *and* the horse, together, to get you both on the same wavelength.

I still do have some contacts in Ohio (used to live there about 15 years ago) but am not going to go bugging anyone with questions until/unless I hear from horsechick herself what exactly she's looking for a trainer FOR - green horse, or what.

Pat

Quote:
How were we supposed to know that the goal was to start a young horse, specifically? I mean, people often look for trainers for all sorts of other situations, not just that. Who could tell?

Yeah, if the question is about wanting to send a horse off to be started, then discipline doesn't matter so much. However, in that case, what IS likely to matter a fair bit (or ought to) is LOCATION, because if you aren't equipped to start a horse yourself then you most likely are going to also need some guidance from the person who does start it on how to CONTINUE with it. So it is an Awfully Good Idea to make sure that you can WATCH some of the horse's training (good idea anyhow, for 'quality control reasons', if you are not personally extremely familiar with the trainer's work) and PARTICIPATE once the horse has started coming along.

Sending a horse to have <whatever> installed and then expecting him to be perfectly-adapted to your own style when he comes back does not often work too well. There is a LOT to be said for being able to have the trainer work with both you *and* the horse, together, to get you both on the same wavelength.

I still do have some contacts in Ohio (used to live there about 15 years ago) but am not going to go bugging anyone with questions until/unless I hear from horsechick herself what exactly she's looking for a trainer FOR - green horse, or what.

Pat

roll.png
Someone got out of bed the wrong side. I think horsechick was looking for help, not rudeness.

Good luck in your search. We just got a colt back after being away for nearly 3 months for 30 days training! He wasn't coming along as fast as they would have liked, but they did not charge us extra. I think it's as important to find someone you can get along with as well as your horse, but like I said, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom