Horse with SERIOUS case of Worms!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bleenie, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

We stopped by my mothers friends house today and while we were there i was petting her horse & i noticed that there was a Very Large Amount of what looked to be Round Worms in one of her "piles"... also, this "pile" was not like normal horse dropping, it was more like a cows, i also thought that was strange.

I am pretty sure they were round worms, i Made my sister come see and she agreed, but here's some mroe info. please give me your opinions...

Shirley is the only animal in the field besides a few chickens.
    she's a pretty little QH.
    She's a healthy weight, not skinny at all
    she gets mostly just local hay right now and grass form the field.

I have an extra tube of Ivermectin Paste horse wormer that I am going to give to her for Shirley. I also gave her my farriers number because her feet need to be done too.

any input is appreciated...I have NEVER seen worms in a horses poo before...and was Astonished to see so many!!!!!(even more so because she looks otherwise healthy!)

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Horses should be on a regular dewormer schedule. Any horse, especially one out on pasture grass, is going to get worms at some point. Yes, you can give Ivermectin paste. If the parasite load is that great I'd give some now and another dose in two weeks.

3. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Also don't be afraid to give her the entire tube, whether or not she is the full 1100-1200 #'s the wormer is good for. If you can actually see the worms like that, she has a pretty good infestation going on. You won't overdose the mare on wormer by giving her the full tube. Also agree with the other poster - give a follow up dose.

4. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I would worm also and again every 2 weeks till gone. I would be careful at first because passing a huge worm load can cause problems like colic. I would use 2 different types of wormer, like one dose Ivermectin, then one dose with Ivermectin Gold or something similar. Be careful with Quest, it is very toxic and you have to be spot on with the dose. She may look healthy, but her belly is probably bloated due to worms. How is her coat? Eyes? These are good indicators to evaluate health also.

5. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Had a filly full of worms too. Gave her Ivermectin first, then a different wormer 2 weeks later, then Quest last.
    Completely cleaned out the worms.

6. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Just keep a good eye on her after you de-worm. She might get impaction from a large parasite die off.

7. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    I used to work for a large animal vet and actually, you do not want to use Ivermectin as the first dose. Use either Panacure, Anthleticide or Strongid in small doses.
    I think it is great that you want to help Shirly get rid of her worms and I mean no disrespect to you or the owner what so ever, I just want to give my opinion/view. Since this is not your horse but your mother's friends, I would check with your vet first and ask him or her what they recommend for this horse, as opposed to arbitrarily giving the owner the wrong treatment. Or better yet, have the owner call and ask the vet. I know you want to help the horse and the owner, but honestly, Im assuming the owner either does not have the knowledge of how to deworm the horse correctly, or the time, or the money? to keep the horse free from worms. This can turm into a bad situation if you in being helpfull-which is great!-give the wrong advice or treament and this horse ends up colicking or getting sick. Maybe Im jaded, but I see the other side of the coin as far as a liablity issue.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:I agree, I think giving a full dose of wormer can cause an impaction.

9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    It isn't just that a mass of worms creates a blockage in the gut(impaction). Worms also give off various substances as they die and those substances (antigens etc) can cause problems too.

The other thing is that you can worm a horse, but if the conditions stay as they are the animal will just get reinfected quickly. Sanitation has to change, and usually, how the stalls, manure, pasture is managed, etc.

The person who suggested ivermectin should not be given first, can you explain in more detail?

Panacur (fenbendazole) kills 4 types of worms at various life stages. Ah...hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms, whipworms.

The usual recommendation for adult horses is to worm 4 x from January to August with ivermectin, and to worm in September with the idea in mind of killing tapeworms(praziquantel, etc). The November worming is to try and kill encysted strongyles, using Moxydectin once or a Panacur Power Pack (5 doses of panacur).

Single doses of panacur (fenbendazole) and pyrantel products no longer work due to worms developng resistance. Foals should not be on contaminated pastures but whether they are or not, they require their own schedule and medications.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Thank you all for the input! I have never seen worms in our horses because they are regularly wormed so I was very shocked to see any worms.

I am not the one that does our horses worming & to be honest, i am really not much of a horse person. I offered her the paste i have because i figured at least it would help for now. I know the owner doesn't have a large income & also has 2 young sons so i don't think she can afford a lot but i know the worming paste is only about $5-$10ea tube, I am going to talk to her more about it when i see her to give her the wormer i have.

The only Ivermectin liquid i have found around here is sold only in BIG jugs and is close to $100, i KNOW she cannot afford that. She is calling my farrier to have her feet done though, thankfully my farrier is only $40 and she's AWESOME so i know she will have some input for the owner about Shirley.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by