Horse wooden pellet bedding for my ducklings?

Sophie-lou

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
I was wondering if it is safe to use wood pellet bedding for my ducklings. They are only a few days old and are making such a mess. I've been cleaning them out daily and there bedding is very wet. The wood pellets are really absorbent and I know that it would be better than the shavings but I'm just worried about them ingesting it. Has anyone used wood pellets as bedding for there ducklings? Is it safe?

I used them on my older ducklings around 3 weeks I really like them. I wouldn't want to use them in a coop though it would be too expensive. My only problem with using the pellets with new ducklings is them trying to eat them I prefer pee pads for the 1st week or 2.

I am using them on my ducklings right now. It cost me 5.99 a bag for 50 pounds. My ducklings weren’t able to eat them. But I did do just pee pads for the first two or three days so they could get their feet first. Once’s it started breaking up I was able to start scooping it like cat litter. They also dry really fast from my experience so far if underneath them isn’t wet.

My sister buys it in bulk for her horses. Its about £5.00 for a 15kg bag and you can scoop the mess out and just top it us with fresh. I thought it would be perfect as it's really absorbent but I'm worried they'll eat it.

Back
Top Bottom