1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horse x shetland pony mix??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by muscovy94, Apr 18, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey I have seen almost every other kind of equine mix except this mix. can they mix? Does anyone have them and have a pic or 2? [​IMG]

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Yes a shetland stallion can breed a full sized horse without a problem. My father had horses many years ago and Shetland ponies were all the rage. We had people bringing full sized mares to him all the time. What we got was (IMO) small ugly horses with a Shetland disposition. I am not a fan of the little buggers.

We did have one very nice horse when I was a kid that was a shetland saddle horse cross and she was a pretty good looking horse and great disposition but I considered her to be the exception.

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I agree with you the really fat round ones are piggy in every way. However, my dad grew up with a much finer boned (think very small horse) pont and she was wonderful, as was her son who looked just like her. But those stocky little things are the last thing I would buy a little kid! EVIL!!!

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree. Not a Shetland fan but sometimes the cross would work out. I saw a little arab Shetland cross that wasn't too bad looking but had Shetland attitude and Arab spirit (bad combination). But we owned a Welsh Shetland cross that was a nice little pony.....'course that's not a horse pony cross....

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Shetland stallion with a full sized mare? Did you have a ramp for him?

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I had a friend that raises Pasos and she bred her Paso stallion to her oversized miniature horse mare and got a beautiful Paso Pony that had all the gaits too!

7. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Yep exactly that Dad built a ramp for the Shetland to work from.

8. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:I was going to say in the earlier thread that it is my impression that you can breed a quite large stallion to a small mare and the mare will control (not sure that is the correct word) the size of the foal. Unlike in cattle where a large bull can create some real problems.

I have had no experience but beleive this to be the case.

9. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    That sounds dangerous. I know Pasos aren't very big, but when I was a kid a Morgan stallion got loose and bred my 12 hand Welsh mare. She had an awful time having it and the very sizable foal died. That's the problem with crosses like that - you never know which characteristics they'll inherit. For example, National Showhorses (half Arabian half Saddlebred), Ideally they have a beautiful Arab head and are big movers front and back. A few turn out like this, but so many have the saddlebred head and can't trot. For those not in the know on this, when I say can't trot, I don't mean literally - I mean they don't have the high animated gait of an American Saddlebred. In my ever so humble opinion, the friend with the paso pony got really lucky.

10. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:I was going to say in the earlier thread that it is my impression that you can breed a quite large stallion to a small mare and the mare will control (not sure that is the correct word) the size of the foal. Unlike in cattle where a large bull can create some real problems.

I have had no experience but beleive this to be the case.

You are right!
    Big stuy ddone years ago when they AI small ponies to drafts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by