Horsehair necklace...... What do you think?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by peewee, Aug 18, 2010.

1. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I posted some pictures of my horsehair baskets on another thread and noodleroo mentioned something about jewelry made from horsehair. I looked up some pictures and fell in love with some of the designs that people are making. I decided to try my hand at making some. My first braid looked so bad I took it apart and tried over and over again on the same small lock of hair I actually started to beak the hair. But finally I started to get the hang of it and decided to try to make a necklace. This is a four strand braid with a twisted sterling silver "pipe" for decoration.

[​IMG]

2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    thats pretty cool

3. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    very nice...i like it....hmmm....ideas ideas...oh wait....i dont have a horse for its hair...lol....but i do like it....now i need to go macreme'...lol

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

That is really pretty . . .you could do so many different things with the silver. Amazing that they used HH for carpet padding back in the day.

5. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    You're killing me!! The baskets were gorgeous and I love that necklace. I just need time to figure out how to make them.

6. leaf

leaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    port orchard
    beutifull

7. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Thank you all for you kind words!
    bockbock2008, This is the site that I taught myself to make pine needle baskets. I took what I learned from making the pine needle baskets and transferred it to horse hair. http://www.nativetech.org/basketry/coilinstr.html If you have any questions just PM me and I will help you when you want to learn. (lots of trial and error)

8. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I learned the hair braiding a few years ago. Was ok at it. Gave up on it cuz the guys were getting a little thin in the tail end. Do you buy your hair or just have some horsey friends. You are right when you say lots of trial and error. When I was learning I would practice on thin cording That way I wasn't messing up the hair I had to work with. Keep up the good work. CHRISTmas is coming soon and those will make great gifts

piecemaker

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  9. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

More beautiful work. Thanks so much for the link!

I think that would look amazing with a piece of Turquoise or Larimar.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That's so Beautiful! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Humm ... I have a whole bunch of horse hair on my dresser ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by