horses and chicken poo

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by birdbrain5, Aug 16, 2010.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I try to keep my chickens out of the horse pasture, but they venture in there sometimes. I was wondering if they poop in the fields on the grass, is this okay for the horses? I havent heard anything before about it being an issue, and I know people who have chickens and horses in close quarters. I worm pretty regularly, but I just wanted to ask...
  2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    So long as it isn't a huge concentration (don't let them roost on feeders or over hay) then it is not an issue. Chickens actually help lessen bacteria and parasites in horse pastures by scratching out manure piles and turning the dirt. You'd have to have a lot of chickens for the horses to come in to contact with more chicken poop than the wild bird poop they already encounter.
  3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Horses, unlike dogs, have no natural instinct to eat manure and if they encounter some in the grass, they will simply eat around it. As Akane said, try to keep them out of mangers, hay racks, etc... Plastic tub mangers, bolted to the wall are a PAIN to clean if a chicken ever poops in them.

ETA Chickens are wonderful for breaking up horse manure, eating any grain that gets passed undigested, eating bugs and also conditioning horses for coming across scary creatures like grouse and turkeys on the trail.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My chickens are very well trained on horse poo.... as soon as they see a horse tail go up- they scramble like wild animals to see who gets there sooner and eat the passed oats! I haven't had to use a poo fork in months..... [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Pooing on the pasture is fine.

You do not however want a whole lot of chicken poo in your *hay storage*, just in case that is an issue.

Good luck, have fun,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by