Horses - anyone had one that chased their chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Orchid, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    If I do eventually free range my chickens, I plan to do it in the horse pasture. I have a mare who doesn't chase our dogs or cats, but I have seen her chase foxes and coyotes out of their pasture, and one time my husband had to pull porcupine quills out of her nose! I'm just waiting for her to get skunked. [​IMG]

Anyway (I get off topic so easily [​IMG]), has anyone had trouble with their horses chasing their chickens, or do they pretty much accept them as just another bird? I'd hate to come out to squished chickens.

2. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    I have five and haven't had it happen yet. They have in the past chased the goats out of their way. More playful then aggresive. I've watched my girls with their noses to the ground "checking" the chickens out. Excepecially when there are new ones. I've put the chickens on their backs and they don't care. I would think your ok. The chickens can move pretty fast when they have to. [​IMG]
    Good luck!

3. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    Years ago when I had horses, chickens were about the one animal my mare would allow in HER area. Never had any of our horses chase chickens.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just brought a colt home from the racetrack for some R&R, and put him in a small paddock next to my free range coup. When I turn all the girls out, they run and flap going down back to the fields, and some of them hop into his paddock and scratch and pick. Some times he'll run at them and just watch them scatter. I think he just does it for fun, since he then bucks and farts back to the other end of the paddock.

Goofball.

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I introduce mine to the chickens and ducks. Let them nose them around and stuff. I try not to let the baby chicks around because I don't think the horses will be too careful about where they step. [​IMG] I have had them step on a chicken foot, here and there. Usually I am there and yell and they move. Otherwise, they just stand there! [​IMG] The chickens do usually end up in the nursery for a week or two, because it breaks their toes if the ground is hard, but it gets better with TLC and lots of treats! [​IMG]

One lady I got chickens from had her Thoroughbred chase and stomp hers. I've heard of that from more than one person, but mine doesn't chase them down. He is the one that has stepped on them, though. I don't think he really cares for the chickens, but he doesn't "hate" them like some I've heard of.

If the hawks are bad, my head roo takes a group of girls out in the pasture to stand under our alpha horse. It is too funny! Smart bird! That horse [​IMG] the chickens and noses them and will stand for a long time with them.

Good luck!

Shelly

6. Tigerstripes

Tigerstripes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Northern California
    We have 7 horses, most of them usually ignore the chickens that get in except for the grumpy mare who just wants them a few feet away from her, but wont chase them once they understand the boundaries:). The 3 year old sometimes will sniff at them because she has to know everything:rolleyes: but she doesn't harm them. We also have wild turkeys wander through the pasture, but they stay away from the horses and the horses ignore them. I don't think you'll have a problem, but it depends on your horse's personality, which you would be the best judge of.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have 3 gelding minis & every once in a while they'll be playing stallion games, so the chickens head to the barn. I had a mini donk that chased chickens, goats, dogs, & even a friend. He loved us though. But when he cornered a goat in the barn & broke some ribs, a leg, & knock off 1 horn, it was time for him to go.

8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Our chickens,geese and ducks are no bother to our horses. I think the horses don't see them as threats!

9. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Thank you so much for the replies! She really is very tolerant of the cats and dogs and will even groom the cats sometimes (imagine the cat's surprise!) so hopefully if I introduce them to her as "my" chickens she will be just fine.

So interesting integrating all these different critters, isn't it? [​IMG]

10. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    My chickens love to wander with the horses, goats, donkey, and cow! They completely ignore them though so it works out great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by