Horses being butchered for our consumption? Sold to grocery stores? :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our neighbor that attends the livestock auctions weekly told me that horses in this area are going for less than $10 a piece. They are all bought up and shipped to Mexico for food. [​IMG]

No one around here can afford to feed them over the winter with the price of hay going through the roof. I read on the local news website that the farmers are getting federal help to plant winter rye to feed their cattle this year and the cows are more important than the horses I guess.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:That is just horrible. I just wish I could just save them all. [​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:Thats aweful poor horses. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] People are crazy.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The same neighbor bought three horses for his grandkids at the auction about a month ago. Beautiful horses.

I'm still trying to talk DH into letting me get one, but he insists that we build a shelter first.

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Good for you. I'm glad some one's doing something about it [​IMG] . Post pics. when you get one. [​IMG]

6. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:Just let us know when you're ready Gritty...we'll get a barn raising posse together. [​IMG]

Just make sure you don't feed us any of that sausage...[​IMG]

7. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Next thing you know people will wanna eat chickens and lambs!

What's wrong with horsemeat? I had it in Europe and its pretty good. Are we that dependant on beef? I'd rather eat a good horse steak in its natural state than a grocery store beef steak that's pumped full of steroids and who knows what.

I understand America has a love affair with horses, but other than because they pull a wagon occassionally, and they are pretty, why NOT eat horsemeat?

8. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    If the animals are being slaughtered humanly I don't have a problem. It's better then them starving to death or being neglected. Really, think about it, why is it ok to eat a cow or goat but not a horse?

9. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    This is very good news. This country has been flooded with unwanted horses since they made it illegal to slaughter them. That law caused untold suffering. Better they be used for food than be starved and negleted like so many have the past several years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by