1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horse's frog -- should it be this way?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lothiriel, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I was just cleaning Taffy's feet and noticed that all 4 of her frogs are unattached at the ends, like they're peeled.
    (I got this photo off Google and put the yellow in to show where it's unattached.)

[​IMG]

Should they be that way? If not, what should we do about it? She's not lame, she doesn't walk like her feet hurt, and she stood like an angel while I was cleaning them.

My mom had a horse when she was younger but doesn't remember much about the frog.... and this is our first time with a horse.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    It's not unusual for horses to shed their frogs naturally. She looks to have nice, clean feet!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  3. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Oh that's not her foot. That's a picture from Google. I didn't get a photo of her own feet.

That's good to know. I was worried thinking there was something wrong!

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    How long has it been since a farrier has trimmed her? Most will tell you to get it done no less than every 6 - 8 weeks; mine are on a 5 week rotation now. The farrier can tell you all you need to know about her feet, the structure of them, and how to keep them healthy.

5. andbab

andbab Chillin' With My Peeps

Horses naturally shed their frogs. It will just flake off as it grows out.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Frogs do flake out from time to time, depending on surface they were on. Gravel seems to put the most wear on them.

7. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like she is just shedding her frogs. This is normal. Sometimes a frog will start to shed and the horse will catch it on something. It will make you think your horse has an abscess (I had this happen). I treated for it, farrier was due 5 days layer. He checked the hole and said (good job on treating a small tear on the frog). The tear was kinda round and looked and presented just like an abscess. LOL, but will do it again if needed and check a little better. :D

Can you post photos of your girl's frogs?

Maye

8. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Sure thing. I'll get some tomorrow.

9. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I got some pics -- haven't uploaded them yet, but will later.
    We just had a vet out to do some stuff for our cows and give Taffy her rabies and 4-Way vaccines and asked her about the feet too. She said they're fine, and they'll either just peel off themselves or if a farrier comes out (we don't have one yet) he would probably trim them off.

10. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Taffy's feet... Sorry about all the mud... I tried cleaning them off better but the brush kept getting clogged.

Left front...
    [​IMG]

Left rear...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right front...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right rear...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by