Horses I HATE THE 4th!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Florida chick, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    The 4th of July is a horrible stressful holiday as a horse owner. I seriously used to love it. Now I DREAD every red neck Yahooo out there with fireworks. OH man the horses have been running for the last hour already. Seth is holding my Mag and the Paint and Arab are in stalls. The MUstangs about blew a gasket so they are out running,running, running. Oh man I HATE THIS! Last year they ran for hrs and were so sore and stressed! :mad:

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Put a radio outside, and turn up the volume - thats what I've been doing - I FEEL your pain!!!

Edit to add: THe fools around here have been doing the firework thing for the last three days!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I wish it were only the 4th we had to worry about!!! :thun

Tuesday night, 11pm, our horse was running, bucking, basically flipping out. About 4 to 5 properties up they were lighting the big ka-boom ones that light the sky up. [​IMG] Sorry but I called the Sheriffs Dept. They said they'd do a drive by but who knows, I never saw them drive by and we live on the corner to get into the neighborhood. Frustrating to say the least. Besides the chance of hay going up in flames.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Shelties must be related to horses.

Every thunder boom, fire cracker or redneck shooting practice sets my shelties off into a frenzy. If they are outside they will go nuts and try to get out of the fence if they can't get back in the house. Where they want to go is beyond me. They just will run and run.

Crazy dogs...

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    My horses are okay with it once they see what is going on they just settle right back down near the barn. My poor dogs are another story. I have to keep the dogs locked up in kennels as they will go right over the fence and run forever. My cats will be hiding inside the garage all night instead of out playing. I'm not sure about the poultry as I have never had poultry on the 4th before. So far it has been quiet around here but it looks like the people across the street are getting ready for a party.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My chickens couldn't care less..... nothing to worry about there.
    My goat is also pretty calm, but he see's the horse freak out and he takes off along with her.

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    UGH!!! I hate this, too. I mean, I'm all for a little fun and festivity, and I know that every one's just having a good time...but man, what a pain in the rear! Unfortunately for me, too, it's not just the 4th. The neighbors celebrate most major holidays (as well as occasional random events, apparently [​IMG]) with fireworks.

Oh, and one of the neighbors lets his kids shoot off potato canons when they need to "blow off some steam". We actually called the cops on them because, by the sound of it, we thought that they were shooting actual guns in the direction of our property/horses.

The horses aren't being too silly this time. Possibly because there are at least 3 major displays happening right now all around us. The poor things are probably just shell-shocked. The dogs, however, are going to Drive. Me. Nuts. Barking, panting, pacing, and trying to hide, like, underneath of me. *sigh*. I have 3 50-ish lb. pit bulls/pit bull mixes, and they're all big WEENIES!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I hate the 4th cause of my horses, too. I keep going out to check on them. They have been running around. The neighbors really loud ones seem to burst right over my paddock. I just hate to see them go thru that.

9. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I just asked DH if the neighbors on either side of us were having a fireworks war and we are stuck in the middle.
    The chickens are all asleep though , I was worried at first and my poor dusty(lhasa) is 13 and deaf so he is fast asleep and can't hear a thing.
    But we probably wont get any sleep tonight , My neighbor on the south side is my cousing and he has 4 wk old turkey chicks , he's going to give them all heart attacks. He's setting off the 1/4 stick of dynomite.

Oh well last night was just the small ones guess he was saving the big stuff for tonight. HIs Duck hatched 7 ducklings today and 2 of them are mine he better not be scaring them to death.

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, my neighbor's horses go nuts because people in the new development next to them start setting off fireworks randomly the week before the 4th. I'm sure they see it bothering the horses -- you'd think they would give a call and let them know ahead of time! These are working horses too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by