1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horses in need of adoption

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by emvickrey, Dec 1, 2010.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I was reading in another poultry site i'm a member of that there are alot of horses that are in need of adoption. Many have injuries and need somebody to help them out. The husband died and the wife did nothing to tend to the horses and they have been just living and breeding on 100 acres for 6 years. I was hoping some of te kind BYC'ers could help out getting these horses new homes and healthy and happy like they should be. I know many of you are horse people. These horses are located in Blount County in Tennessee. The site to see and contact the owner is below. It is very important that these horses get medical attention and new homes. Some have what appears to me to be infected teeth, swollen legs, cuts and some are even partially blind. Many of the mares have been overbred and there are colts too.

http://www.horsehavenoftn.com/Appys.htm

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Those poor creatures. We can't help, but I don't mind spreading the word... where are these exactly? Doesn't say on there, just the chart. Lemme know and I'll dash over to FB.

Did see quite a few already had a big ol' X meaning they'd found a place... WONDERFUL... hopefully more will find a new loving home soon.

3. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Blount County, Tennessee. I dont' know exactly where that is. I would have to google it. I do know there are people that will travel to get a horse. I don't know if they are asking an adoption fee but with all their problems it would seem they wouldn't. I did see they had a button for donations. And yes I did see all the X's stating they where spoken for or taken already. I would love to get a young one for my grandson. He has "issues" and I feel a horse of his own to take care of and love would be perfect to turn him around. He loves animals but isn't allowed to have anything of his own. Long story but grampa and grandma would love to get him a horse. The house would get loved and cared for and in turn would love back and that's something I really think would help my grandson.

4. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Wow, some nice old foundation Apps there.

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

K, adding the location as a comment to my FB post.

Never know who may know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who's got the space to help.

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I feel so sorry for these horses. If we had a place, we'd take some of the colts in....... but we don't. I hope they can find a good home...

However, you may want to call Rainhill Equine Facility, a place where I volunteer.... They are a horse rescue based in Bowling Green, KY - the specialize in rescuing blind horses. They may not be able to take any in, though, because they have quite a few and are building a barn - but it is worth a try.

http://www.rainhillrescue.com/

Phone#: 270-777-3164

Karen Thurman, the owner/founder, is a GREAT woman with A LOT of knowledge. It's an amazing forever home for those horses. I haven't been able to go in a long time, but the place is magical.

7. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    Poor horses. I would take alot of them if I was at a property with acreage I may be able to find some people willing to take some or one.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:If you know the people why don't you give them a call. I found this posted in another site I belong to by somebody like me trying to get the word out to find these horses homes and help. They are beautiful horses and need help. I wish I had a place to put at least one. I would love to get my grandson one.

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I would, but the only problem is that they have the basis of the owners/facility must contact them directly to talk about placings. I was hoping you would know how to get in touch with them - I didn't read all of the post.

Rainhill takes care of over 50 horses, and Karen herself works, so it's hard pressed for them to find any time on the farm to go looking for horses to rescue. Plus, the facility is getting to their limits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by