Horses not eating hay

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by seminolewind, Dec 30, 2009.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My 2 horses are not eating the last 50 bales of hay we bought. There's nothing wrong with it. Smells good, looks good, they eat a little of it and then toss the rest around. The only thing I could think of is that it's a 3rd or 4th cutting, so it would be kindof bland.
    Anyone else have that problem?

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I sometimes had problems at changeover, when I was buying hay. I learned to keep back some and mix it with the new batch, and they seemed to transition better. If you're worried, try supplementing with alfalfa cubes.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I have a horse that went off the hay because it wasn't any good... I don't know what your horses problem is but I can tell you that we left him to eat and and finally he did... He got hives and we had to give him shots... (just food for thought)... Horses are pretty smart.

4. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    ours wouldnt eat any hay, didnt matter what it was if they had any green in the pasture, you being in fl, is the grass still growing slowly?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't have horses, but my dog is the same way. She refused to eat a package of chicken legs once, looked and smelled fine to us humans. Two days later it was NASTY smelling!
    I trust her about these things.

Would be really bad if there was something wrong with 50 bales though. One pack of chicken is nothin compared to that [​IMG]

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    My horses will toss the hay aside if it has alot of long stems. They will eat it eventually, very slowly while eye balling you. [​IMG]

7. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I got a load of hay this fall that my horses started out eating just fine, but then they stopped. Wouldn't touch it. I couldn't find anything wrong with it except that it just didn't have much of a smell at all to it. My hay guy was kind enough to switch it out for some from a different field/cutting and they're still eating the new stuff like normal. I have no idea why they stopped eating that hay.

8. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Mine get picky every once in a while, too. They won't eat the bales from the bottom of the hay pile where the dumb dogs have managed to pee( well, really, neither would I if I were a horse) - and sometimes they are picky when I switch over( I also try to mix) There could be a weed mixed in there that you can't identify cuz it's dried. . . . . I have learned to trust my horses on bad hay-

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well I'm glad to hear that others have spoiled horses. This is end of the year hay and certainly not as tasty as the earlier cuttings. There are no weeds in it. They do eat about half of what I put out there. It's not the first time I've had other horses that would do the same thing. They finished 2 flakes last night from the same hay.

10. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have had that problem too and mine refused to even eat any no matter how long it was left. I ended up buying different hay and using the other for bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by