"Horses or chickens"

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
My husband told me tonight I need to make a decision. The horses or the chickens. It is really not fair or easy for me to decide. My chickens are not producing yet, but they are eating, a lot. My horses are not doing anything either, but they are my loves.
I guess I could cut back seriously and only have the good egg layers. I am getting some Marans eggs to hatch and want to keep them for sure. I guess I could give up my Brabanters, some of my bantams and the leghorns. If they were already a few years old it would not be so hard. But they are just 5 months old.
I think I will try my best to limp them along till spring and see what happens. I can always take them to the auction if I have to.
roll.png

(Sorry. this is the rambling section isn't it?)

well mabey you can downsize on both, but trust me I know how the horse market goes and they arent selling to good. Hay is just way to expensize now. Soo you best chance would be downsize on choooks. But thats just MY opinion... dont hurt me.. jk lol

We dont have horses, but would love to get one or two and a donkey or mule. But having to pick, i love my fresh eggs. As far as pets though from what I already have I love my ducks and goats more than my chickens. i just think of my chickens as egg layers. Hope that does not sound horrible though.

wendy

I'm biased (of course) but if one of the reasons to choose is financial, I can't imagine choosing to keep horses, especially if they aren't being used to pull stuff or travel.

At least with chickens you can easily control the number of mouths (beaks) to feed and ramp up or ramp down or replace pretty easily.

Again, I don't know anything about the care and maint. of horses (my daughter wants one so badly) but from what I can see, they are a lot of work and a lot of cost relative to chickens. When she needs a horse fix we spend $5 on carrots and take her a few miles to the horse stalls to feed (and sometimes ride) the horses over there.

Oh, and you will probably feel better about having to eat a chicken if the world falls apart than eating a horse.
roll.png

We are down to one horse (and he's 25 years old). With the price of hay, grain, farrier and veterinarian fees, I'm becoming convinced that this will be my last horse.

Nifty's right. There's not another pet that also provides food for your family and, worse comes to worse, a Sunday dinner, too.

Michele.

Quote:
You may change your mind when she is a teen looking at the boys. Horses saved me from a road I was teetering on going down with boys and other trouble. I was so busy working to pay for my horses maintenance and upkeep I had no time for any of that stuff. I loved to show my horse. I couldn't afford to buy hay and do bad things, It was the wisest decision my parents ever made for me growing up.

:barnieThe horse market is terrible right now and I am not willing to "Give" my horses away. The cost of horses is much higher then the cost of chickens for sure. I do have a Haflinger filly and 2 minis I could sell, but then again, I would want actual money for them and there is none to be had in the horse world right now. My filly is 2 and has done well in halter and my minis both have shown and done well in halter and lead line and are both trained to drive. I have a wagon for them. But my husband has his 2 horses also that he would never sell. So out of 5 horses 2 he would not part with and 3 are a maybe, but not at this time due to the poor market.
As for chickens, I know I could eat them (Except my husband and son think it is horrible. I had some broilers we ate. The men of the house had a fit
roll.png
) or I could take them to the poultry auction. So, I know I could down size the chickens. But I hate to as they have not even started yet! I put in all the work so someone else can benifit form it!!
barnie.gif

Maybe I will sell hte doves and pigeons. That might cut down on the feed bill a tiny bit.

I come from a family of horse lovers. I like horses but the money it takes to keep them healthy I just can't see spending that much on something that doesn't do any thing. Chickens give u eggs!! just my opinion. Horses are nice but chicken are cool!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom