Horses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kathleen357, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Kathleen357

Kathleen357 Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    I was wondering if I could see some pics of ur horses or ponies and thier names. I love horses but I do not have one. I really want an Appy named Promise.

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Here are my families horses. Our horses do most of the ranch work in the spring, summer and fall, checking fence, checking cows, moving cows, and lots of other things.
    We only have 3 horses now, I'm hoping to find something for my dad this year.

My mare is a registered QH, her name is Sneakin Cowgirl, or Sneaks. She's turning 15 this year and is sorrel with a white blaze. She was originally meant to be a barrel racer but after an injury in 2015 and 2016 she can't be.
    My sister and mom also share a QH mare, she's a faded red roan who is anywhere form 15-19 years old her name is Lilly. My grandpa bought her as a 5 year old from a college rodeo girl who didn't have the time for her. She proved herself faithful on my uncle and grandpas ranch for her whole life. Last year she started to go lame so she was put out to pasture, after my sisters horse died and my mom sold hers they asked of they could have her and my grandpa said yes so now we have her. She can only do short rides for an hour or two with minimal trotting.
    Then there's Bert, she is a 23 year old spaid bay mare, she is a QH draft cross. She taught me, and my three sister along with 5 cousins how to ride. She's a big built horse who has been on my families ranches since she was 9. She has served her purpose and everyone respects her, my younger sister rides her now, and I do if I don't want to deal with my mares issues some days[​IMG]

Here's some pictures
    [​IMG]
    Sneaks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sneaks and Lilly

[​IMG]
    Sneaks

[​IMG]
    Sneaks again if you look below shoulder you can see a sort of scar and hairless area from her 2016 injury. Basically she walked into a barbed wire fence got one hoof between the 2nd and 3rd wire, when she tried to pull it out freaked out and got a 4x4 inch piece of skin and hair all the way down to the muscle pulled off. She also has a cut on her chest.

[​IMG]
    Bert

[​IMG]
    Lilly

[​IMG]
    Me on Sneaks on the left, my younger sister on Bert on the right.

Also for your first horse I would recommend a QH, they are good horses that are smart. Also you probably want am Appy due to the coloring. The color of a horse can actually increase the price. If you were to find a dead broke dappled grey QH the price may be more due to its color. I would recommend a QH that fits you the best. Color shouldn't matter when looking for a horse

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. Kathleen357

Kathleen357 Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    I love Lilly she is so pretty thanks for posting and for the advice about horses really i say i want this color horse but if someone gave me a golden colored horse i hate that color horse i would be happy just to have a horse but thanks again

4. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Yep. I had a horse almost kill me twice in one day when i was 11. After i sold him i didnt want another sorrel ever again. I only saw one picture of sneaks and i thought she was a bay. When she walked out of the trailer and she was a sorrel, i didnt think i could ever like her, but here i am having a color i didnt think id ever own again, and she is amazing and just what i need. I wouldn't even be looking at the color when buying a horse, its the horses attitude and training what matters in the end

5. Kathleen357

Kathleen357 Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    How did tthe horse almost ill ou i know someone who was watching her mom ride a horse when she was 10 the horse spooked and reared the mom fell of and got kicked in the head and the horse was running around like crazy and was still spooked and stepped on her the daughter called the ambulance on a phone that had 2 percent of battery left

6. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I was bucked off he almost stepped on my head and then he bucked me off and I hit my head on a metal panel

7. Kathleen357

Kathleen357 Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Was e mean before that or was he spooked or something

8. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Just spooked, he smelt mountain lion that had been through the area the day before.
    Like I said I was 11 at the time I was traumatized, it was best to get rid of him after that.
    I didn't even want to ride to a week after that. I finally gave through and walked around on Bert. This was about 5 years ago

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. Kathleen357

Kathleen357 Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Makes sense

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by