hos to put weight on scary skinny New Hampshire Red who is sick and receiving care

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by micstrachan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    My sweet girl has egg yolk peritonitis. She is receiving the best care possible, including a day in the avian vet hospital (IV, abdominal lavage, aspirating fluid from abdomen) antibiotics, and anti-inflammatories. Amazingly, she is perking up a bit, and I'm hopeful we can save her. Rusty has always (I'm only a year into chicken keeping and got all four as chicks), been my littlest chicken, to the point that my son's nicknane for her is "Daint" short for dainty. Despite her size, she used to be mytophen as far as pecking order. Are New Hampshire Reds known for being dainty? When she started showing symptoms, I noticed a prominent breast bone. Poor baby. She is WAY lighter than her flockmates, who are a black Australorp, Plymouth Barred Rock, and Brown Leghorn. The leghorn has always looked skender, true to her breed, but Rusty a.k.a. Daint, has always been the smallest. She is sooo weak, but slowly gaining strength. Force feeding her is difficult, but she's starting to be hungry again. Yay! So here's my question. I am DESPERAT to help her gain her strength. She is getting stronger, but wasting away at the same time. Does anyone recommend some foods to help her gain? Right now, she does not like her feed, which is organic layer crumble. She is crazy for earthworms, and I've been feeding her those, which she readily gobbles up. She also likes scrambled egg, and ate some cooked brown rice tonight. She isn't eating the grit I brought her tonight, so I'm not sure which foods she can tolerate. What else can she eat safely to gain weight right now? Thanks for your help.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Unmedicated chick starter. The higher protein content will get her back into a healthy condition in no time. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only.

3. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Thanks. I need to pick some up. What if she won't eat it?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Wet it down into a gruel and mix some cooked egg yolk in if she won't touch it dry.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Turkey and gamebird starter are quite high in protein, and they're what I use sometimes. Did your vet mention tube feeding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by