hose waterer hookup

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mendozer, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    I currently have a 6 gallon bucket feeding into my pvc tube for the nipple system. i like it, but now I'm transitioning my coop to be mobile. I've seen people use hose quick disconnect with float valves into the reservoirs.

my question is: can I use a hose QD directly to the pvc tube with nipples? My hose has the half turn valve so i can limit the water flow if pressure is a concern. This way, the water's directly from the hose and fresh.

ideas?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Pressure is a concern. The valve won't work because the valve only limits flow not pressure. In short order the pressure will be that of your home system. You would need a pressure reducer.

3. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    like the ones for drip irrigation? don't know if those are pvc compatible

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They are pvc compatible.
    Big box stores have them or you can get them online.

5. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    No way can you get the pressure low enough directly out of your house supply without a pressure reducer, the pressure reducers for drip irrigation will not work or everybody would be using them. You can put a float In a bucket and keep it as low as possible so there is only a small amount of water in the bucket and then that water will gravity feed to your water nipples.

Search around at most of the poultry supply stores online, just do a Google search for Poultry waterer or chicken waterer, and you will see many pressure reducers, some are less than $30, Pressure Reducing Valve.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by