1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hospital Chickens - how do you house them?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amysflock, Aug 5, 2008.

1. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    Last night I discovered one of my black australorps bloody and with skin missing off her backside. I can only presume the other 8 hens played a part in the injury, as there's no evidence anything got into the coop, and these girls don't free range. There were 9 hens in a 48 sq ft coop with attached 81 sq ft outdoor run, fully secured.

I cleaned her up and sprayed Blu-Kote on the injury, and placed her in a dog crate with fresh pine shavings and water. She's in a darkened bathroom in the house.

I know I can't rightly put her in with any other chickens until she's at least starting to heal (preferrably healed all the way), but I have no other place to put her currently other than in a dog crate.

My question is, where do you put your sick/injured chickens when you have to separate them from the flock, and how long do you keep them there?

(For the record, two of my Easter Egger hens are in a separate smaller coop (32 sq feet) with attached 81 sq foot run, and I think I'll probably have to put this injured girl in with the Easter Eggers when she's all healed up. I don't want to put her in there now with her injured backside.)

(edited to correct coop dimensions)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    We have a quarantine pen which is inside my outbuilding - an old dog kennel (3x9 ft) with shavings over a concrete floor.

If the chicken were REALLY bad off, I'd use a dog crate in the house.

3. dustbath

dustbath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    I use a dog crate (for a mid to large dog) inside the coop. I kept one hen there for over a week and have never been able to reintegrate her with the others (they fight to cause real injury). How do you avoid this problem with a hospitalized hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by