Hospital Food - what does your chicken prefer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country Heart, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I have had a roo in the "hospital" for two plus weeks now. I have been forcing a liquid diet down him, but at some point he needs to start eating again on his own. What do your chickens prefer when they are recovering that is easy to digest, nutritious, and yummy - from a chicken perspective?

This morning he ate an entire large scrambled egg, so I am hopeful that there are more things that he is willing to eat - I just have to figure out what they are.

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    scrambled eggs are good, as well as yogurt (plain)

3. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    I mixed scrambled egg and yogurt with oatmeal (right out of the box) or with starter mash. My sick girl ate it right up after refusing EVERYTHING else.

4. dudieezper

dudieezper New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    Cereal or some oats could be a nice food with an egg. Mixing an egg to it is a good diet for you. Anyway I just want to say a good luck for your chickens. http://mybendixgomez.blogspot.com

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a hen that when she was sick would only eat bamboo shoots, very weird.

Anyway the best thing to stimulate his appetite would be another chicken. Can you bring in a gentle hen and feed them together. Nothing like the sight of a hen scarfing down food to get a rooster's attention! [​IMG]

6. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:Thank for all the advice. I actually lost the overall battle and he has since moved on to a better place. [​IMG]

But you're right, while I had him in the "hospital" I had him facing the back patio and he would always perk up when the girls came by to say hello. His time was short, but he had a great life.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by