Hot and cold

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Firework, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    I hope this is in the correct place.
    Can chickens tell if something is hot like a hot pepper, or cold like when they eat snow?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    You mean by looking at it? Or do you mean when eating it? I think they can taste the difference.

3. Firework

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    I ment when they are eating it. Thanks!

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yes, I'm pretty sure they can tell.

5. Firework

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Okay, is it ok if I feed them snow insted of water?

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Here a is quote from a web site on surviving severe winter weather... "Do not eat snow. It will lower your body temperature. Melt it first." A creature may do it for survival (although think of how your body reacts when you eat something really cold. Now think of eating something really cold when it's 20 degrees outside...makes you feel colder), but animals under our care shouldn't have to resort to survival mode. Some may investigate and sample it, but it should not be their source of water. They should have liquid water available to the them daily. Some people put warm water out so that it won't freeze as fast.

7. naturegrrl

naturegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I would definitely NOT feed them snow *instead* of water. It's ok if they eat some snow on occasion, but they should have access to a fresh liquid water source. Eating snow lowers the core body temperature dangerously (can lead to hypothermia), and doesn't provide nearly as much water as drinking liquid water. I suspect the chooks wouldn't eat very much snow if left to their own devices.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm sure they can feel cold snow. I saw my chickens "testing" it out, and I wondered if they would get a brain freeze. [​IMG]

But I've read that they cannot taste hot things, like peppers.

9. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I wouldn't feed them snow - they would use too many needed calories trying to stay warm. We don't have heated waterers, either. We do carry down a small bucket of very warm water a few times a day. The girls sure seem to appreciate it. Even when their water isn't frozen, they like the warm water.

10. Firework

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Okay, thanks for all of the help. I am now bringing them a big jug of water every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by