hot cayenne peppers taste sweet?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jwalters, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jwalters

jwalters Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Vinton Iowa
    Growing some peppers in the garden and I picked one that was HOT and now the rest of them seem to have a sweeter taste am I picking them to early or are they posibly cross polinating with my bell peppers?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Peppers will cross pollinate. But it may be any number of things.

Hve you considered joining the BYC sister site, www.TheEasyGarden.com ? There are some real pros over there, and most of them are members here, too! [​IMG]

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I'm guessing you are picking a little bit too early.

4. chicnfarmer

chicnfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Quote:I actually read an article From mild to wild: There's a hot pepper to suit every palate by J. Walliser in the June/July issue of Organic Gardening that suggested that pepper varieties are hard to hybridize and that they rarely do...

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    If......the pepper has good growing conditions, lots of water, good fertile soil---it will be sweeter. When the pepper plant gets stressed with hot summers, barely enough water, insect attack-----it will be hotter then hello. The plant responds to stress by increasing the capsicum concentration.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I actually read an article From mild to wild: There's a hot pepper to suit every palate by J. Walliser in the June/July issue of Organic Gardening that suggested that pepper varieties are hard to hybridize and that they rarely do...

I'm respectful of that, but would like to point out that one article doesn't make a database of proof. The usage of "suggested" and "rarely" mean it's not fact, it's conjecture.

All I can cite is personal experience in growing peppers for many years. The hot peppers get one area and the mild peppers get another area. And they still get mixed up sometimes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by