Hot Chickens; Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickens9Dogs4, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Chickens9Dogs4

Chickens9Dogs4 Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2016
    Douglas, Arizona
    Hello. I need plenty of help. I noticed that my hens have been panting and looking for alot of shade lately. I live in Arizona, so it's very hot. Can I please have tips on how to help the problem. Thank you

2. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    Something I do when my hens are hot is put a dish of ice water in the run. The drink it and dip their feet in it. Also, make sure there is lots of shade.

1 person likes this.
  3. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Wet them down.....with a hose....or get a bucket and dip them...

1 person likes this.
  4. bunsnpupsnchick

bunsnpupsnchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    I use dishpans & cat litter boxes with a couple inches of water for them to stand in. I also put out frozen 2 liters to help cool the area as they melt...some of the chicks stand on them or just sit by them. Definitely shade. They also like to dirt bathe/dig a shallow hole in the dirt to cool off. A mister can go a long way for them too...I run a mister stand most of the day for them. Lots of water....I'll add ice at times. Frozen treats for them too--I do frozen veggies, fruit, etc. Sometimes I just put ice out to melt on the ground.

Try to establish a cool zone...mine's on my patio right now. So the mister is there going as are the pans of water. It's also where I set out the 2 liters. I have various items on my patio that make "short walls" to help reflect the cold from the 2 liters into an area. Sort of like having a small box that you'd put the 2 liters in or in front of...if that makes sense. They'll move where they need to go, but 1 area is easier to really try to bring down than a whole yard. That's where I concentrate with the ice, etc. Needs to be a constantly shaded area if possible...that'll go a long way.

As suggested, if you need to dip them into cool water. I try to keep a full dishpan ready to go just for that, but only if they're really having a problem. I've also just held them in front of the mister, spreading their wings so their whole body gets misted.

If we're having a really hot night I've put the frozen 2 liters in the coops too.

5. Chickens9Dogs4

Chickens9Dogs4 Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2016
    Douglas, Arizona
    Thank you very much! Very helpful. Our Summer days here in Douglas are very hot here and I believe this will work. I am very new to having chickens and I don't have anyone to help me, so Thank You very much. :3

6. bunsnpupsnchick

bunsnpupsnchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Understand. WeatherUnderground has my area at 110 right now. I think we hit 100 by about 9 this morning. Really hot way earlier than normal & staying that way long past sundown. There's an Arionza Chickens thread under the where are you forum. Been some nice people there.

Have an old friend who's from there...small world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by