Hot chickens!

jessthesheepy

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
It's 24 degrees celcius today and despite shade & ice cold water and putting her feet in water, my buff Orpington is still panting and being extremely lethargic! I don't want any of my flock to overheat...any tips on keeping your chickens cool in hot weather? :)

Give them plenty of shade, put a fan in the coop (this works the best for me), freeze some vegetables as treats for them. Also, for your chicken that is overheating, dunk her entire body in cool water. This will help her out a lot.

I have been freezing jugs or 2-liter bottles of water and putting it in front of their fan each morning so that it blows some cool air. Also read that if you see any keeping their wings out away from their body and panting to dip them up to their necks in cool water. I haven't tried it... It would probably take me all day just to catch each one.
D.gif

Good luck... a cool front just passed through here, so 84 degrees is feeling GREAT today compared to the temps the past couple of weeks!

I have been freezing jugs or 2-liter bottles of water and putting it in front of their fan each morning so that it blows some cool air.  Also read that if you see any keeping their wings out away from their body and panting to dip them up to their necks in cool water.  I haven't tried it... It would probably take me all day just to catch each one. :cd

Good luck... a cool front just passed through here, so 84 degrees is feeling GREAT today compared to the temps the past couple of weeks!

Thanks! Haha I can catch mine but they start flapping as soon as I put them in the water, I think it cooled them down though :)

Give them plenty of shade, put a fan in the coop (this works the best for me), freeze some vegetables as treats for them. Also, for your chicken that is overheating, dunk her entire body in cool water. This will help her out a lot.

Thanks! They loved the frozen fruit I gave them(they are fussy about veg lol) :)

Back
Top Bottom