Hot Chicks in New Zealand!

Harrietsmum

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
From the Waikato Times newspaper

The hot summer is leading adult moreporks to throw chicks out of their nests because they are finding it too stifling to raise them.

At Whangarei Native Bird Recovery Centre, eight chicks have been rescued after being found on the ground by the public.

Founder Robert Webb said two chicks were still being cared for as they gained strength and weight.

"They get very hot in the nest and the adult bird can't keep them all. She picks out one or two and chucks them out. Great way to bring up your kids."

Moreporks could have up to four chicks in a nest, and they needed to build up enough strength to fly before leaving.

The sanctuary is now caring for Rua, brought in on New Year's Day when five days old, and Sophie, brought in at seven days old. "Rua came in with his eyes all screwed up in a little ball of fluff. Now he's coming up really well."

The chicks would not have survived in the wild, and need to be hand-fed.

The pair had bonded, with Rua trying to help feed Sophie their ox heart and mutton neck chops.

Moreporks are a native owl.

39341_moreporks.jpg

Last edited:
Nature has her ways. Then, we have our ways, too. How nice somebody is there to help when nature gets a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks for that, I found it very interesting. Is it hotter than usual for your area?
I just came inside, we got 12 inches of snow overnight with more on the way. Very unusual for us. It will be -14C tonight.
I'm in the center of the US but last summer I worked at a Macaw breeding and restoration program in Costa Rica. The head biologist there is from New Zealand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom