Hot Chix!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by top of the hill, Jul 12, 2011.

1. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi all!

The past several nights around 8pm I head into the coop to lock it down for the night (the girls are usual roosting or getting into position at that point) and have noticed several of them are panting. Now I know this is a sign of being overheated but its just not that hot, maybe 75 degrees. They are a little over 11 weeks, could this be a sign of maturing or do I need to rethink my coop ventelation?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    You may need to rethink your coop ventilation, that seems unusual for them to be panting... It could depend on the breed though, for instance if it is a "cold weather" chicken then maybe 75 degrees is hot for them, what breed are they? (I am new to chickens so it is unlikely i will know the breed, but somebody else may be able to help)

3. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    ah, hadn't thought about breed. they are RI Reds and Ameracaunas, 6 total. whats strange is that they don't do it during the day, just at night when they are jumping onto the roost. maybe they are just out of shape! [​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    It's about 98 in my coop & its under a big tree with a ton of ventilation. I have RIR's they can handle the heat not sure about your other breed. I wish it was 75 here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by