hot climate coop/run siding question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wahmommy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    I am planning on using just 1 x 6 pine boards laid horizontally with a small 1/8" spacing between each board. I do not think I need insulation because it gets to only about 35F here in the winter at the most, we don't really get frost even. The coop/run combo is 7 feet deep and 8 feet wide, with the roost and poop boards at the back. The front 3 feet of the coop are roofed but otherwise pretty open to the elements, just hardware cloth - but the back four feet is solid planks. I know in a hot climate we need more ventilation, and we don't really need insulation. So do I need to back the boards with plywood? Or do anything to seal the 1/8" spacing? We also don't get a lot of rain here except for about 2 months out of the year, but when it comes down, it comes down in a deluge. I am currently coming under the assumption that the spaces will help with ventilation but I wanted to ask other BYCers.

Also is there any issue with mites? I don't think my birds have them now, but what do I do if I they come down with them since I understand mites can hang out in small spaces?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I would go with the board and batten method. Install the boards vertically, as they should be anyway, then nail 2" strips over the gaps. Your ventilation, if I understand you correctly, ought to be good to go with the front of the coop open to the run.
    Jack

3. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    Hi Jack - thanks for your response - I want to keep the boards horizontal as I like the way it looks, its a design element. Any thoughts about what I need to do (if anything) if the boards are horizontal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by