Hot days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my5hens, Jul 2, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Can a hen become overheated? I moved their coop under the big tree just in case. Its supposed to reach 100 - 102 here this weekend.

Thank you!

2. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    They can die from heat exhaustion [​IMG]

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    113 here yesterday and we lost one... 118 today and all made it through so far, it will be above 100 here for the next 70 days or more and normally taking some precautions we do not have losses. This year we lost our first to actual heat stroke, but it has been above 110 for a couple weeks now and it is stressing our girls especially the older ones.

4. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Place 2 liter bottles of frozen water in their coop or in a cool spot in their run. My pullets lay next to it to cool off [​IMG]

5. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Watermelons, shade, fans, shallow wading pools, and frozen waterbottles are your friends in times like these.. I want to know who turned off the a/c outside? Here in Texas.. by 10 am, its unbearable!

6. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    If your chickens are panting all the time they are too hot. Also try feeding them cold mash, and fresh, cool melon seeds are good for hydration too - with some melon still attached. Make sure they have enough cool water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by