Hot enough to.... incubate an egg?.... **graphic egg pic**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yinepu, Jul 23, 2011.

1. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I know it's been hot here in Texas.. but I didnt stop and think it's been THIS hot
    about a week ago I brought in a duck egg and set it on the counter.. i candled it when i brought it in from outside.. it was VERY clear.. (just wanted to make sure it wasnt sloshing cause the duck had laid it out in the sun and left it)

I got busy with other things .. forgot the egg sitting on the counter.. and one of the cats pushed it back out of the way.. so out of sight.. out of mind...

well.. today I was cleaning off that counter and came across the egg.. so for the fun of it I decided to candle it..... and saw veins [​IMG]

so I took it out and cracked it open.. this is what I found:

[​IMG]

now.. why did I spend all that money on an incubator again?... [​IMG]

2. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Wow thats amazing if you left him out you might end up with a little baby on the counter one morning.

3. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh wow! That's amazing! I take it there is no AC in your kitchen?

It's so ridiculously hot all over the country right now![​IMG] I wouldn't be surprised if an egg laid in the shade would incubate in this heat! Thanks for sharing... that's really interesting!

4. yinepu

well.. we're trying to do away with the ducks this fall.. so incubating one isn't in the plans.. but if the cats kept on turning him I may have been in for a surprise (assuming they would have found a way to raise up his humidity).. hmm.. maybe they wanted duckling for dinner?... my cats are evil masterminds.. so it's possible they were planing ahead!

5. yinepu

Quote:we have AC.. but it's very old and full of holes thanks to feral cats.. so it doesnt do much for keeping the house cool.. but plays heck with the electric bill.. so it stays off and we deal with windows open and fans to try to beat the heat

6. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    feral cats are evil.... we have so many here in Okla....people cant feed their pets anymore so they turn them lose out here in the country..then we have to deal with them trying to get in our chicken pens....I try to catch and fix all we can but you cant find homes for them....new asian cafe opened in town so maybe they will want them lol

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Wow, it would be so cool to see if you could hatch one with out an incubator! Just turn it lol,

8. yinepu

Quote:yeah.. we manage to catch them and get rid of them.. and a few months later we have more dropped off

9. yinepu

Quote:I actually think I could here.. if I could keep the humidity up where it needs to be

10. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:I actually think I could here.. if I could keep the humidity up where it needs to be

Putting egg on wet wash cloth? Try it, try it this is ground breaking if you can

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by