hot hot and more hot

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by duck walk, Jun 19, 2009.

1. duck walk

duck walk Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    what is everyone doing to keep birds cool in the horrible heat we are having in the South...hundred today again and through the week end...I have frozen water jugs. bought a pile of water melons and have the fans going where I can...I have a goose on the nest in a metal building...I don't know what I am going to do to keep cool...[​IMG]

2. sangel4you

sangel4you Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I'm not in the south, but besides frozen water bottles, anyone have any ideas since I dont have electric anywhere near my coop?Obviously no fans. And while we're on the topic, I have no way to keep the water unfrozen in winter either. :-(

3. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Extension cords.

We have a heated base to put under our galanized 2 gallon waterer. We are running an extension cord out to the coop.

4. sangel4you

sangel4you Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I would love that idea...except it's not my property that their on. And the closest house is literally 100 yards from them and I dont think they're going to want to share their electric. My house is 3/4 mile down the road. :-(

5. coderpitt

coderpitt In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Dallas,TX
    Well, depending on the size of the coop and air flow capacity, you might consider some of the solar powered attic fans, can get anywhere from 1000 cfm to 25 meter per hour fans for a range of prices. Depending on the venting that could make for a good airflow during the peak daylight hours.

6. Chuckles1330

Chuckles1330 In the Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Mableton
  7. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Quote:BUMMER....I see your predicament. [​IMG]

8. sangel4you

sangel4you Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    yeah I know...:-/

But ktstraw...that link idea is SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!!! I think that will work when it gets hot here (it's only 70s today) but it will get to be 90s.

Now I just need a cold weather solution! Lol

9. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Songster

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    We are in Northern California and get 100+ temps. I found a $15 battery operated fan at a Walmart. When it cools down a bit in the evening I shut the door to the outisde run, open the front door of coop and the nesting box lid and blow the air through to cool off some before the girls go to bed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  10. I've been taking my ice tray from the freezer and dumping it out on
    the ground... I've been telling people, You know it's hot when chickens stand on ice cubes! [​IMG]

Lots of shade and prayers for a breeze!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: