Hot Hot And More Hot

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by yankeedoodle300, Jul 25, 2011.

1. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Hi! How do your Hens Cope With the heat, and is it right for them to pant? Hens are Newbies to me and i need to know if panting is ok...

Please answer Me about this and let me know...

I Cant Stand The Heat! [​IMG]

2. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    It is really bad here. They do pant, I have a sprinkler which I move constantly, and I use pans that are for kitty litter and fill them with water so they can stand in them. I change that water every 2 hours. I also have fans in the shed for all the dumb ones that wont come out. It is past a full time job and it is not August yet.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Though the blistering heat has finally moved out of the UP, it was pretty brutal! Now nice and in the 70s, woot!

Anyhoo, shade is a MUST! I would quarter a whole watermelon and then freeze it. The girls got a quarter at least once a day. On the day that the head index was 121 degrees, they definitely got two. I consider it ice cream for chooks, and they loved it. I also would freeze water bottles, pop cans filled with water, etc. and pop those into the waterer. Never with a cap if it was a bottle, so as they melted, the cold water could flow into the waterer. I made use of my automatic icemaker for the girls, too, to help cool things off. Since I live in a place with a high water table and plenty of water, I also ran the hose on a trickle to give them a cool puddle to chill their toes or flop into, and the cold well water was definitely popular! My coop is too far out to run a fan into, so no fans for my girls.

Frozen watermelon isn't the only cooling treat you can give them. I decided if they like to eat it and it can be frozen, then it shall be! Frozen oatmeal with yogurt, frozen other fruits, frozen crumbled mixed w/water. Anything to keep their beaks cool as they ate.

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have a fan in the coop - I had a a broody in there I was really worried about.

I put ice cubes in their water, too. But soon, altogether too soon it will be winter and we'll be worrying about keeping them warm. [​IMG]

See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=546105

Some
    body else's weather is always worse somewhere ...

7 feet of snow. In the driest place on earth no less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by