Hot Hot Hot

moeell1

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
So any tips on how to keep our babies cool on these HOT days here in NY? I have some 4 weeks old, 3 weeks and 2 weeks and boy it's hot here...any advice?!

I put some 2 liter soda bottles filled with water in the freezer, then stick it out in the pen after they froze, they love to lean up against them! Also, someone mentioned that dust bathing helps them keep cool too!
smile.png
Good luck!

I keep planting new plants arround my breeders cage. Just potted up a HUGE fern got from the shop. With it the entire late afternoon side is covered with a wall of living green. I also keep three inches of sand on the bottom so they can dig themselves into it. Seems to work because they always look comfy.

My grow out pen I built with the heat in mind, its built against a retaining wall in deep shade with two thirds of the roof covered with plastic with four inches of sand on top. It stays nice and cool for them.

Must try the ice bottle though, its always nice to give them something new!

my quail are doing great with just shade and water and we hit 115 the other day...sometimes I throw half a frozen watermelon into the pen for a fun treat, but my quail can handle the heat better than my chickens IMHO...my pen is hardware cloth on all sides so that the heat can escape.

not sure what heat you're facing in NY...but in AZ my quail are doing fine in 110+ temps. I'm sure they'd like whatever you provide
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom