1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hot HOT Weather

Discussion in 'Quail' started by OzChick, Jan 19, 2010.

1. OzChick

OzChick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    Quick query regarding Coturnix and hot weather.

We've just had our 3rd day over 41degC (that's 104degF). The quails are surviving (so far) - I've given them loads of water, and had a damp towel draped over the cages to try and provide some evaporative cooling. With the temp due to hit this hot again on Saturday, I want to make sure my animals are well looked after.

So... is there anything else I should be doing for them ??? They have all the feed they can eat, and I'm checking their water every couple of hours to make sure there is loads left and that it hasn't heated up too much. They are under a patio - so no direct sunlight, but it still gets warm under there.

Any thing else that any one can think of ? Should I be giving them a higher protein feed ? They seem to be getting through a lot of water (as are we all)

Thanks in advance

Liane

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Im the only one up it seems [​IMG]

I don't know, honestly, I haven't hatched mine yet. If they aren't stressing too bad then you are doing a fine job!

3. OzChick

Jan 11, 2009
    LOL - you guys are getting up, we are settling in for the evening - it's finally dipped below 35deg here. I think last night was the hottest night here in Perth in 21 years (it barely got below 30degC). So no real relief at this stage.

Good luck with the hatching - my lot only started laying last week, they are managing to keep laying despite the weather - although I noticed they appear to be saving it up until the sea breeze comes in.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    During times of heat stress you can suppliment them with vitamins and minerals added to their water. I do this weekly and during hot weather i also give them vit c added to the water to bolster egg production during heat stress. The wet towel evaporative cooling thing isnt bad or buy a mister fan--- a fan that has a small water tube around the edge that sprays fine streams of water or mist out into the wind current thats generated by the fan--- its basically a evaprative cooling air conditioner. these are available commercially and are used by disney, universal studios, sea world, etc... here in Florida. Or maybe just keep using the wet towel over their pen with a fan blowing on it?

5. OzChick

Jan 11, 2009
    Thanks for that- the area they are in is still getting some good air circulation (Easterly - which comes straight off the land) rather than the Westerly (off the Sea). So there has been a hot dry breeze So I've had to replenish the water on the towel reasonably often. I brought some vitamin drops for the water just yesterday - so I'll make sure I dose the water.

Thankyou!

Liane

P.S. I have memories of those misting fans at the theme parks DP and I managed to come over in 2001 it was a lightning trip (landed on East Coast, week in Colorado, down to Fort Lauderdale (sp?) - which finished the businesss side of things drove up to Kennedy around some major fires onto Disney, then flew back to Boston, drove across to the falls, and back to New York... all in less than 3 weeks. Next time we'd actually like to take our time and see a few more things! But the chance of work paying for our tickets again is pretty low [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  6. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Hi Liane,
    I am Martha from Sydney. Last week and the week before we got those temps. My button quails went great in it. Just keep up the clean water and make sure they have shade. I didn't do the wet towel thing, but just put a rotating fan on them.
    I live in Sydney's North West near Richmond and we always get it hot when its hot here.
    Quail have higher temps than us so it takes much higher temps to affect them.
    As long as there is water they will survive.
    I breed canaries and they are way more fragile than my button quail are.
    My canaries have to be misted with water every 20 minutes in extreme heat.
    I had jap quails before my buttons and they loved it when it heated up.
    What kind of waterer do you use? I use those self waterers you get for dogs that have a recycled coke bottle with water in it that resupplies the water as they drink it.
    I always put an extra one in there for them if I think its going to get really hot. And always place the water in a shaded area.
    Other wise if your doing all that, they will be fine and don't stress. They seem to take heat better than cold drops.

came back and edited my typo's

Yes JJ is right. I buy an electrolite suppliment to put in the water if the heat lasts more than a couple of days. Its like giving the little guys gatoraide.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. ksukristin

ksukristin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    folks take a lot of care out here too when the weather gets hot- regularly having entire months over 110 degrees F...and this is going to be my first summer with the birds...so I have been reading for tips with this as well. Some folks put a bottle of water in the freezer and leave it in their pen during the day so that they can cuddle up next to something cool. A shallow pan with some ice water will also help them be able to cool their feet. Some folks also do the mister systems! I'm sure if you do a search you'll find people on here who have discussed it far more eloquently than myself!

best of luck with the heat!

8. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    ksukristin is right with the bottles of froze water.
    I have done that with my canaries who share the aviary with my button quail.
    When my canaries had babies and were on their nest all the time, to try to cool the aviary down. I would place half a dozen frozen, water filled coke bottles.
    With a fan blowing on it as well it would drop the temp down a few notches.

Part of my family originally came from El Paso, Texas. So understand dry heat. I think dry heat is easier to handle than, humid heat, which we get here in Western Sydney.

Just do what you feel you need to do and your probably right.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:HA! you drove right by me! I still have fond memories of those fires that year..... I was regional command for them back then. You know disney, busch gardens/ sea world, univeral studios all gave every professional fireman in the state and their families free season passes that year as a thank you--- I thought it was a very nice gesture anyways...

Oh dont forget to boost them with vit c( plain ole vit c) 2-3 times a week in that heat.... It'll help keep your egg rate up.

10. OzChick

Jan 11, 2009
    That was nice (the free passes that is). Those fires were huge!

My memories of Florida was of it being mainly humid and hot [​IMG] actually that and being told by the local guy who was with us to keep a good hold on all our luggage when we arrived at the airport!

Do you just use Vit C powder ? Or is there an additive that you can buy (hmm - will need to check at the shops today). Thankyou for all the advice.

L

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by