Hot in barn

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rammy, May 22, 2019.

1. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    I got a Cackle surprise box last week and have the chicks in my barn in three separate brooders to give them room. Each with their own heat lamp. I am not using a heat bulb but a 60 watt bulb in the lamp. However, my barn is made of metal and its gotten into the upper 80's here during the day. I cant keep the barn door open due to the cows coming in and destroying everything. I do have a metal gate I can put in the doorway which Im considering. I also have all the windows open and a fan going. During the day I turn off the lamps. Can I put them outside in a tractor? It gets to between 50 and 60 degrees at night so Im trying to figure out how to put a heat source out there if they need it. They are not feathered yet as they are only going on two weeks old.

2. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    If it's that hot in the barn, it shouldn't drop too low at night. My temps during the day are 80+ and at night it sometimes is 50 but mostly 60, my chicks have had no heat source and are doing amazing.

Last night it was actually 50... My chicks didn't even seem phased by it. They're 3 weeks (got them at 2 days old) and 5 weeks (got them at a week old).

I used a heat source the first few days and the chicks weren't even using it. They basically were avoiding it no matter what temp it was at. I decided that I wasn't going to use it and I would just do it the way they wanted even if the "rules" say they need a heat source. I also learned that brooding chicks inside and brooding them outside makes a huge difference! The chicks that I've done outside have been the healthiest chicks that I've ever had. They have a mini coop that they stay in at night and a run that's 600 SQ FT that's inside my 1500 SQ FT run for my hens. I've let them in the big run a few times, but I get nervous because a raven took a chick 3ish weeks ago (I have replaced that chick so I don't want to lose another).

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Rammy likes this.
  3. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    Im considering putting them outside but the pen I need to put them in that has chicken wire all over it<10 x 10 kennel> has chickens in it right now. I can move those and put the babys in there. There is a dog house but Im not sure theyd go in there at night. Id probably have to train them. I think Im going to keep the lamps off from now on. I don't want to over heat them. The cows will be gone an a few days so I can open the doors then. In the meantime, I may get a little coop for them to live in outside until I can figure out where to put who where.:)

chkva likes this.
  4. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    I think I can put them in this rabbit hutch I have. Its got the small wire so they wont be able to get thru it and its got an upper floor for them to get out of the weather with. I may have to help them get up there a few times til they figure out how to go up the little ramps. I have it in the backyard with the other older chickens but can keep the doors closed for their protection. May work.

chkva likes this.
  5. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    They probably would use the dog house if you scooted them in there at night, they'll get the point after a while. I feel we as chicken owners give chickens way more than they need! I have learned a lot from the farm that I've been getting my chicks from... They're Mennonite and don't use heat lamps or anything. Their chickens are so healthy and their livestock is just incredible! I have never lost one chick from them due to illness. I pick their brains every time I go in to get chicks because each time they give me incredible pointers on farming.

Rammy and FoodFreedomNow like this.
  6. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    That'll work! It's always great to use what you have on hand...

Rammy likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: