Hot Mess! Young Hen almost pecked to Death (Graphic)

HorseShowDiva

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 14, 2016
I think I've done everything wrong by waiting too long to integrate my 6 young hens with my 3 old ladies. I started slow by introducing just a couple new birds. Seemed everything was going okay except a little bullying and on day 3 I found My Big Red in a corner bloody and battered. Brought her in the house for warm bath, dried her off and a little antibiotic cream. Her skin continues to swell on her neck but she's seemingly sleeping comfortably on my lap and breathing normally. I imagine she's in quite a lot of pain and still trickling blood. I'll keep her in my bathroom on towels for now. What else can I do to help her heal? And what do I do about my flock? I've stopped the integration efforts for now. Thank you so much in advance for tips and support. (Old hens are 3years old and young hens are about 14 weeks old)

Oh I should let you know I have Vetericyn, rescue remedy and essential oils. I spritzed with the Vetericyn before I put the triple antibiotic on her. Thanks again.

I think I've done everything wrong by waiting too long to integrate my 6 young hens with my 3 old ladies. I started slow by introducing just a couple new birds. Seemed everything was going okay except a little bullying and on day 3 I found My Big Red in a corner bloody and battered. Brought her in the house for warm bath, dried her off and a little antibiotic cream. Her skin continues to swell on her neck but she's seemingly sleeping comfortably on my lap and breathing normally. I imagine she's in quite a lot of pain and still trickling blood. I'll keep her in my bathroom on towels for now. What else can I do to help her heal? And what do I do about my flock? I've stopped the integration efforts for now. Thank you so much in advance for tips and support. (Old hens are 3years old and young hens are about 14 weeks old)

Welcome to BYC.

You did good by bringing her in and treating her. You can continue with the Vetericyn or ointment (no "caine") Keep an eye out for any infection- pus, odors, etc.

Leave the wound open so air gets to it, chickens will heal fairly quickly barring infection. I wouldn't use any essential oils at this time.

If you have them, you can put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water. If she will eat her normal feed that would be good, you can also offer egg, tuna, mackerel or meat to help with protein.

I'm no expert on integration so I suggest you post photos of your setup and ask for tips on integration on the "managing your flock forum", https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock

Here is one idea that I think would work great, but it depends on your setup.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1118898/pvc-introduction-pen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom