1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hot, new chicky mama/worry wort in NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JennyDillyAnna, Oct 24, 2010.

1. JennyDillyAnna

JennyDillyAnna Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Durham, NC
    Let me explain the *HOT* from the start. I came down with a fever in the drive to pick up the babies, which has really put a damper on my ability to check the temperature in their room. We now have a themometer in the brooder bin. I'm having an awful time trying to trust it and the babes to protect themselves. I'm running hot, and everything is cold. Plus side, the new girls are LOVING me!

I sent off an email to a local chicken farm and received information on the chicks I wanted to get on hold for me. Had to change my choices a little to keep me from going crazy. Original choice was a 9 week black star and a 1 week old delware. Huge meets tiny. With future pick ups in the next three weeks - crazy!

DH was all about having different looking chickens, plus he must have a silver lace polish for the cute factor. I need an Amerucana/EE because they are so sweet. Polish isn't available until March of next year at our local chicken farm so we will get this batch coop ready before then.

4 week old Barred Plymouth Rock named Night, or Starry Night. She's so sweet and loving. She finds the other two chicks annoying.
    2 week old Rhode Island Red named Sunny. She is vocal, flighty, our runner.
    1 week old Delaware named Moon. Doesn't put up for nothing. She'll walk all over the other two and right now she's pretty annoying following everyone around and mimicking them with zero personal space. Night keeps throwing me these looks because she's stuck with uncivilized pygmies. I'm hoping some of this Moon will grow out of.

[​IMG]
    Chickens! by JennyDillyAnna, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Chicks! by JennyDillyAnna, on Flickr

I can't tell if the temperature is okay by my own senses or by the chick's formation in the brooder. They are always together. If one eats, they all eat. One drinks they all drink. All of them follow Night around and do whatever she does. She does everything to be rid of them. I sprinkle a little ground oatmeal, Night notices it and tries to go over all stealth like - stands, stretches, preens a little bit, and walks over without looking at it directly. But the hooligans are never far behind.

We are in the process of building the chicken coop from thegardencoop.com's plans. Maybe on a warm day, after completion, I'll let Night have some peace and quiet.

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your HOT situation... but never the less, [​IMG] from West Monroe, La....

Very nice babies you have!

3. 2many2count

2many2count Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Illinois
    [​IMG]
    come on in sit a spell:frow

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson and [​IMG] Did you catch chicken fever? [​IMG] Lovely chicks.

5. JennyDillyAnna

JennyDillyAnna Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Durham, NC
    Thanks everyone! Saw the DR yesterday and it's a reoccuring sinus infection. Antibiotics work! I'm a lot less paranoid about the temps in the *brooder*. The chicks are such different ages that I feel weird about calling it a brooder and more likely an indoor containment area.

On another note, I'm completely in love with my BPR (barred plymouth rock, right?). She loves me. First day, she scaled my arm to sit on my shoulder. Today, she's flying up to perch on my boobage or shoulder. When she's there, she lays or roosts all comfortable. I keep joking that she'll be my parrot for halloween as my family of four is going to as pirates. The only issue I have with her is after petting her and I've cleaned the water. She goes over to the water and scratches right next to it to get wood shavings in there. Then she looks at me to clean it up again so she can fly out and get more petting. The water is getting worse everyday because she is getting more efficient. She's making holes everywhere!

I've already got the RIR to eat out of my hand, she also flies out the brooder when the deer netting is removed for maintenance. The walls are close to 2ft tall.

The little one isn't warming up to me so much yet. Time will tell.

I caught chicken fever.

6. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Welcome from NE Ohio. [​IMG]
    We have 10 BR's raised from chicks and they are great! We also have 2 buffs and two white leghorns that we adopted from a buddy.

Chicken Fever, there is no cure.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by