Hot peppers

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by lfoose, Sep 17, 2009.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    We have hot peppers and are looking to do something w/them.

At Steak and Shake, they have these bottles w/hot peppers in it and you just use the juice in the food.

Does anyone know how to make that? Or how to make something else that is like hot juice, hot oil, hot sauce?

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    There is a web site for peppers. I think it was fiery.com (something like that) it has a lot of stuff for habaneros, jalapenos etc. I have made a mustard type sauce with a habaneros and carrots. Jalapeno sauce, and different types of jellies. Peppers are on my 'to do' list today. If you want the web site let me know and I'll hunt it down.

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I pickle mine in Mrs Wadges dill pickle mix! I cut them in half, seed them and follow the recipe! It is good!

4. cndula@elp.rr.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    El Paso, Tx
    If they are small, just wash them and dry them. Heat some vinegar on the stove, don't boil. Add a little veg oil. Pack the peppers in jars and pour vinegar mixture over to cover. Put the tops on the jars and when they cool, refrigerate for a least a week. Makes great gifts. Especially if the peppers are colorful.

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [email protected] :

If they are small, just wash them and dry them. Heat some vinegar on the stove, don't boil. Add a little veg oil. Pack the peppers in jars and pour vinegar mixture over to cover. Put the tops on the jars and when they cool, refrigerate for a least a week. Makes great gifts. Especially if the peppers are colorful.

Around here, this is a household staple.​

6. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Here is recipe for jalapenos but can be used on all kinds of peppers. It has nice balance of hot and sweetness from the carrots. I never seem to have the marjoram and it is fine without.

Pickled Jalapenos (Escabeche)
    From Sandee at Dragonfly Ranch

2 pounds Jalapeno or Serrano chile peppers
    1/3 cup Olive Oil
    2 medium white onions, thickly sliced
    2 medium carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
    1 head garlic, cloves separated but not peeled
    3 cups apple cider vinegar
    2 bay leaves
    2 Tsp Kosher Salt or Seasalt
    ½ teaspoon dried oregano
    4 sprigs of fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried
    4 sprigs of fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
    1 Tbsp sugar

Wash chile peppers, leaving the stems intact. Cut a cross in the tip end of each chile so that the vinegar will be able to penetrate.

Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Add chilies, onion, carrots and garlic. Fry over medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning them over occasionally.
    Add vinegar, salt, herbs, and sugar and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes for Serrano’s or 10 minutes for jalapenos.

Pack in half-pints or quarts sterilized jars. Top with the vinegar and seal. Process in water bath for 10 minutes for half-pints and 15 minutes for quarts.

Once opened, can keep for one month in the refrigerator – if they last that long! Enjoy

Edited: Forgot to add the salt measurement - please note the change

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  7. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    My husband loves pickled peppers. Here's a recipe for a brine. You can either make refrigerator pickles or can them. I do both.

If you want hotter peppers, leave hole and poke 2 to 3 holes in them. For more mile peppers, cut in half, take out seeds and membranes.

2 1/2 C water
    2 1/2 C vinegar
    3 T sugar
    3 T pickling/canning salt
    2 T lime juice
    2 T coriander seeds
    3 cloves garlic (or 1 in each jar if canning)
    3 T black peppercorns
    3 T mustard seed

Heat to a boil.

For refrigerator pickles, put in refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. It's worth the wait.
    If canning, pack jars with peppers and 1 clove garlic. Pour brine, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Process in hot water bath for 10 min.

8. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Quote:Do you think Mrs. Wadges would work for Pepperoncinis. Can't seem to get them to stay crisp.

Sandee

9. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Henry'schickens :

There is a web site for peppers. I think it was fiery.com (something like that) it has a lot of stuff for habaneros, jalapenos etc. I have made a mustard type sauce with a habaneros and carrots. Jalapeno sauce, and different types of jellies. Peppers are on my 'to do' list today. If you want the web site let me know and I'll hunt it down.

Yes, could you please give me the website?​

10. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    [email protected] :

I don't need to boil the jars in water afterwards?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by