Hot Pick is HOT HOT HOT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Qi Chicken, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Our rooster lost most of his tail feathers and many of the feathers on his back in a dog attack. Since that time 4 months ago the hens have been pecking at the bare spots and causing him to bleed. I got some hot pick spray and sprayed him tonight. In the interests of science I put some on my hand and licked my finger. HOLY CRAP that stuff burns! The area where he is missing feathers is right at his oil gland. Is this going to hurt him? Will he stop preening? Unfortunately I already applied several squirts to his backside. Would you apply this again? I got the stuff from Eggcartons.com.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I think what inquiring minds want to know is... Are you gonna stop licking your finger?

[​IMG]

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I think I would separate him to give him time to heal so they can't pick at it.
    sharon

4. Qi Chicken

Jul 3, 2009
    YES! I am going to stop licking my fingers! [​IMG] Man, that would stop a kid from nail biting I tell ya! I drank about 3 glasses of milk trying to get the burn out.

Anyway. We isolated him for almost a month until he was completely healed. No scabs or sores. The other hen that was injured re-grew her feathers. She is nearly indistinguishable from the others. The rooster is white and for some reason he has not regrown his feathers. When they come in the feather shaft has a little black part that I assume is the feather quill. I don't know if the other hens think this is a bug and peck, and therefore break off the new feathers? I have also heard that the feathers may not grow back in until he molts. I don't know, this is my first time with any of these problems. Any help would be appreciated.

We have another room with an isolation cage but it is not heated and the water freezes. We put an oil heater next to the cage and it still freezes. Anything else he knocks over. It was -5 last night so until it warms up we can not isolate him.

I have tried blue kote. they still peck. I put this hot pick on him and I just received the pinless peepers. This sounds crazy but I know you put them in warm water to make them pliable so you can get them on their beaks. It is SO cold out. If I pull it out of the water and put it on the beak will the water freeze and damage the beak? Obstruct the breathing? If I take the time to dry them as well as I can will they still be pliable?

Thanks for the help.

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Maybe he can wear a saddle? Sounds a bit ridiculous but I can think of worse things!

6. Qi Chicken

Jul 3, 2009
    He's got one! Superman no less! But it doesn't cover the very base of his tale and beneath his tail where they are pecking. I thought about making him some kind of sweater thing out of fleece that would have a hole for his tail but I don't think he has enough tail left for it to work without being painful.

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I was also thinking--get him a saddle...pine tar works well too....it's messy but boy they leave that alone!

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have no solution to the rooster problem. But I have a LOT of sympathy for you. My vet still laughs at me for actually trying the stuff.

Better still? I can't drink milk. [​IMG]

9. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    You can try fleece, or really any kind of aprons to cover the bare spots. I've had experience where the rooster scratched half the feathers off a hens back, and sometimes the feathers just wouldn't grow back until molting season.
    Good luck.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

How much room do your birds have? What are you feeding them? Sometimes lack of protein & space contribute to picking problems...blue kote works too...anything red will attract more picking...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by