1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hot Rod's close call

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cookinmom, May 22, 2007.

1. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    This morning Hot Rod had a very close call, but she lived up to her name! :eek: I let the girls out of the run while I made my rounds watering all my little garden beds. I was behind the coop watering the cukes, and I noticed that all the chickens except Hot Rod and Pearl had gone back into their run. Hot Rod and Pearl were messing around by the tomatoes on the other side of the run. Our dog, Shadow, was having a fit because I was out there but wouldn't let him off his chain. He is 5 months old, and weighs close to 50 lb. His chain is on one of those tie-down things that screw into the ground, one designed for dogs up to 85 lbs. He was doing this thing a few weeks ago where he would lunge against the chain until his collar popped open. He managed to bend that tie-down thing. So we got him a choke chain type collar, hoping that would stop the lunging. It did. Until today. He got quiet, so I thought he had gone to eat his breakfast, when all of a sudden Hot Rod came tearing around the corner of the coop, squawking her head off and doing the run/flap thing. Right behind her was Shadow! He was on his chain, dragging the tie-down thing behind him. It caught under a rock at the corner of the coop, allowing me to jump on the chain and stop him. Hot Rod just fluffed, squawked a bit more, and went on her way. I tied Shadow to a tree, and dared him to pull that out of the ground! Then he proceeded to break his collar. So he has moved up to a heavyweight choke chain.
    I'm so glad Hot Rod was OK. I don't think he was trying to eat her, not like a dog on a killing spree. He wanted to play with her, but his type of playing wouldn't be too healthy for her!

2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I am glad Hot Rod is ok. Sign that dog up for weight pulling contests. [​IMG]

3. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    You go Hot Rod!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by