Hot spot in homemade incubator- is that okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SoManyHats, Oct 15, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I built an incubator based in Miss Prissy's design, with modifications to the thermostat and thermostat placement as recommended elsewhere. Right now the temps are holding perfect - no variation unless I open the top. However, in one area, the temp is reading 2 degrees higher. If that spot is 101, and the rest is 99, will that be okay? My gauges only read whole degrees, so I don't know what the true variance is.

This is my inside set up, except I moved the fan so it blows toward the light. The hot spot is in front of the light. Right now I have store eggs in there so I can get the temps right with the mass of eggs.

[​IMG]

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

That will likely not be a problem, especially since you know of the hot spot in advance! Just keep eggs a safe distance from the hot spot.

Most people find out about temperature variances in their incubators after a hatch or two go bad [​IMG]

Make sure that you are accurately measuring temperatures at the level of the egg center, and all will be fine.

Good luck with your hatches!

3. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I agree. Shouldnt be a prob.There is a hotspot on the auto turners in smaller incubators (the motor itself) The babies huddle up toward it when born. Thats also why I like a fan. Any hotspots wont vary as much. Good luck hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by