Hot Spot Treatments for Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Jun 16, 2011.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Our Great Pyrenees get hot spots on the tops of their ears every summer. We've tried using Sulfadene and blue kote and we can't see any improvement. Do you have any recommendations for something that works (either store bought or homemade)?

2. Mzyla

Mzyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Cut dogs hair ( I know....ears are difficult to work with)
    Clean with Betadine or other Water based antiseptic solutions.

Then use:

Black or Green Tea bags - for several days.
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    Vitamin E oil

And make sure he's got no fleas or other parasites.
    Mostly they are causes for Hot Spots.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Nu-Stock is all you need. Ask your local feed store to order it in for you. Check out the testimonials at their website and it will convince you. I swear by that stuff! Works in one treatment for leg scale mites as well, if you have chickens.

I like it because it has no weird chemical stuff in it....pine tar, sulfur, mineral oil.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Thanks! We'll try that.

They are outside dogs and are in the pasture, but they seem to get these when they start shedding their undercoats. Even though we groom them a lot, I think that may be the cause. I checked them over really well and no fleas, which is good since we put flea drops on them anyways.

5. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Bonds gold medicated powder. Works the best, will dry it right up . Any drug store has it . cheap and easy!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fungisan produced by Tomlyn works great for me. The active ingredients are: Bezalkonium chloride .130% and allantoin .045 %. Tractor Supply sells a similar product that works as well.

7. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Trim the fur all around the spot. We used tea tree oil, plain. It worked great. I have also used calendula salve, but she licked it off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by