hot summer days and the heating lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by achake01, May 26, 2010.

1. achake01

achake01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    hey all-it's hot and sticky as heck here in the Washington D.C. suburbs and wondering if I need that heating lamp in their brooder. My chicks are in their second week, and the temperature in the brooder is in the mid-80s, so I turned off the heat lamp since it seems unnecessary. Is there some reason I oughtta turn it back on?

Also: What's the deal with grit? Do I need it for chicks? I'm still just giving them starter feed.
    Thanks!

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I have been turning mine off during the day, but back on at night. They stay plenty warm enough without it since it has been so hot.

They don't need grit if all they are eating is the chick starter. They will need grit once they start getting treats and when they go outside.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The chicks will let you know when they are cold and unhappy. During the heat of the day if it's going to be hot enough for them to be happy I turn the light off. As evening comes on and the temperature drops I turn it back on. Watch what the chicks do and you'll know.

As for grit the only time I use it in the brooder is when I feed them something that I would need to use my teeth to chew if I were to eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by