Hot Swollen abdomen/bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by craftycarrot, Jun 10, 2011.

1. craftycarrot

craftycarrot New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    Hi Guys , Im new to this forum and should have introduced myself first I know, but, Im really worried about my little Amber , shes on her second course of antibiotics 6 days in and they dont sem to be helping her. She has a eally hot, bare, and swollen bottom, or might be considered abdomen , not sure , just below her vent, her vent looks quite redand she is just sitting most of the time now... occasionally getting up and waddling to eat and drink but even doing that less and less , shes still got fight and resists being given anti biotics (tho she is getting them!) . her legs are far apart when she walks due to swelling . Any thoughts as to what could be wrong would be greatly appreciated . I cant feel an egg , and neither could the vet , tho he did give her Petroleum jelly up her just in case, and presumably its not Peritonitis if the Anti biotics arent working? Help! CC

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    could you post some pics?

3. craftycarrot

craftycarrot New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    eek ... not sure ... will ask OH whn he gets in ! CC

4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    what did the vet have to say?

5. craftycarrot

craftycarrot New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    Not alot! Had a feel of her said he couldnt feel an egg but that hed give her the petroleum jelly all the same. .... said that both times I took her , think he was implying he thought it was an infection or something , so he gave me a longer course of anti biotics the second time , she finishes those on monday, but the swelling hasnt gone down at all... may even have got worse, though its not red any more , and not painful to touch it eems just uncomfortable for her to move about . Shes spent most of the day in a nest box and Ive left her too it . Cant really do the photo thing [​IMG] not high tech enough ! Could it be a prolapse , the swelling is the size of an average mans fist! I havent noticed her do a poo for ages either, do they get constipation ? Is there any courses of action you could reccomend me trying ? Many Thanks ! CC

6. sammi77

sammi77 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    I have a hen, Holly, who has a swollen abdomen/below vent. She is pooping, but very little and it is sticking to below the vent. When she poops her vent is still moving for a while. There is a smell about her too, not a chicken smell.
    She is still eating and drinking, albeit probably not as much. She enjoys the odd bit of ham. I have been giving her TUMS and asprin and feeding her scrambled eggs.
    I have bathed her this morning and put barrier cream below vent to prevent soreness. I did hear someone suggest using PREP H. Does anyone know what this is for, and where I would put it?[​IMG]

Holly is the bottom of the pecking order of four hens. She is about 18 months old.

I have felt her abdomen but cannot feel any sign of eggs. It feles taut but squishyish. Her legs are further apart than the others.
    I have another hen in which had 'water balloon' who is drained every 5 or so days. This does not feel the same.

Here is a pic of her back end. I have some video footage of her just standing around and shutting her eyes, but shaking her head every few secs.

[​IMG]

I lost an older hen at the start of this month who had very much the same symptoms, but had hard lumps either side of her abdomen. She was 'ill' for about 8 months.[​IMG]

Really hope there is someone out there who can shed some light on this. Really dont want to lose another.

Heres the video of her falling asleep, shaking head.

Holly falling asleep standing up

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by