Hot Today. What treats did you give your chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by terrilhb, Jul 22, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    It is so hot here in Ga. I have frozen water bottles in the coops. A mister going. And they got frozen melon, peaches and blueberries. Boy did they go to town eating that. As far as the mister. They don't care for it at all. They yell at me. Silly birds.

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I gave mine refigerated bruised peaches. I got them for free for the chickens, they love it, especially my big black EE named Wattle. She is the only one that's laying right now and she loves to eat! I think she ate about 2/3 of it and the other 3 shared the rest. She deserves it though, the others need to start earning their keep [​IMG]

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Mango pits. Watermelon that was too old for us but perfect for them. A lot of sprinkler spraying their run. Ice and fresh water. Yesterday, they got a fan, but there's a nice breeze today.

4. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    My gilrs got a pool, that they are afraid of [​IMG] But they LOVE oranges, so they had one treat today. Hopefully they get used to the pool. Dunking a screaming, fighting chicken is no fun [​IMG]

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I froze some finely chopped apple and grapes. BIG hit.

6. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    That's funny, I put out a shallow "pool" with short sides for them yesterday with short sides and they wanted nothing to do with it. I threw frozen peas in it and they did get the ones they could reach. Today is even hotter and they are all panting so I filled a rubbermaid tub and gently set them in it one at a time... they dont really care for it. [​IMG] Ive got the big box fan going, tacked up blankets to block the sun, frozen jugs of water in the coop (which they arent going into), I've been diligently freezing blocks of ice for their water dish... for treats I've only been giving them frozen stuff. Frozen peas, frozen blueberries and strawberries, bananna, peach, today I gave them a whole frozen package of spinach, they loved that. I think I'm going to make them a blueberry smoothy with ice.... it's so darn HOT right now! 100+ in the sun and HUMID... this is not like Maine at all.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Mine got frozen watermelon, frozen grated veggies (summer squash and zuchs..etc..)...
    The pigs got the same plus frozen bananas...and i'm about to bring the pigs out some popsicles now. [​IMG]

8. jaredkopy

jaredkopy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Fenton, MI
    I have had good luck with frozen berries. I'll fill a plastic tupperware to the brim with blueberries, raspberries, etc.. Fill it with water and stick it in the freezer overnight. It turns into a block of ice packed with frozen berries. That way the ice will stay for a couple hours while the birds pick off berries as they become exposed. So far, so good! it's the only way I've found so far to make a long term frozen treat for them.

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I had some bananas in freezer skin and all for people banana bread, well they were piling up taking too much room in freezer so I defrosted enough to get skins off and fed them to the birds, they loved them. When I changed their water did it from hose on side of house tonight, the 5 and 6 year old boys found it, it was so hot I let them play with it for a while. Good thing we don't have neighbors as they ended up just in their undies spraying each other. Well, the chickens wandered up (what were they thinking???) and got a good spray with water. They ran like crazy and within 10 minutes were back taunting the boys and played in the wet grass just out of hose reach. I don't think they minded and stopped panting for a while (chickens too) [​IMG]

10. Silverose

Silverose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Middle Tenn
    today they got some cubed cantaloupe that was too soft for us, I put it in the freezer for a half-hour first.

I like the idea of the block of ice with berries in it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by