Hot water heater thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dave27889, Jan 23, 2009.

1. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    I give up trying to use a hot water heater thermostat to control the heat in my incubator. It just does not work as well as the wafer type thermostat. I have done test more than 5 times now and there is a way to wide a range on the water heater type. It goes from a low of 98degrees to a high of 104degrees. I have tried three types of the water heater types and they all vary to much for me. My temp probe runs a high low memory and it is still a wide range on every water heater type I have tried. I worked as an electrician and heating and a?c tech and I worked on CNC machines. I know what I am doing and this type stinks. I sent off for two more wafer type today so that I could do more incubators to sell at the farmers market. I just could not put them out to sell the way they were. I know that people use the water heater type and that they use dimmer switches in homemade incubators. I just can't stand by something that varies like the WHT. I know people will argue about this but I stand by my findings. I would also like to say that using a dimmer switch is really asking for problems as they sense no heat at all so if the room the bator in gets hotter or colder the dimmer will not sense the differenc in the change. They are not designed for that. All the do is vary the amout of current going to the light buld. I would not want any expensive eggs in a unit like that. Remember this is just MY OPINION so don't get upset. I have been running a test for the past month on these type and it only took me two days to drop the dimmer switch.
    Thanks to all. I have at least 50 eggs of different types coming in about 9 days and I am done testing. I am ready to hatch some chicks and see what happens. I have three incubators going right now and I am building two more to sell and hopeing to build more for farmers market. Take care and good hatching to all, Dave in NC

2. Polly the farmers wife

Polly the farmers wife Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    sound advice

3. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    It took me 3 days to get that darn thing just right. I was finally able to get it to come on at 98 and off at 101. I'm on day 17 of my first hatch and so far so good. I used the exact thermostat that is in MissPrissy's homeade incubator. Modeled my bator after hers with a few modifications.

4. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree about the wide degree swing! I did put the dimmer switch on mine as well and once I get it right I use the dimmer to keep it close as I can so it doesn't cycle so much but I still have the thermostat for backup. Also if you are taking internal temps with a wiggler you will notice it stays pretty close to the target temp since it takes longer for liquid to cool than air it averages out to about 100. I also put the fan on top blowing down on the eggs instead of to the side since heat rises it pushes it all down and that also seems to keep everything equal. I have 2 set up like that and I just finished a hatch of 42 quail yesterday. I also changed the set up I put a side door on it instead of taking off the top and loosing all the hot air. Just my 2 cents

5. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    I put my fan on top also. Heat rises like you said. I know some people get good results and I am glad they dobut, seeing I am selling these units I have to do the best I can. I would be getting calls all the time about the heat not staying close to where they set it. Thanks for the imput, Dave

6. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I agree if your selling them you want the best product you can sell

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Dave, that is the same problem I had using the water heater thermostat and even with a dimmer the swing was around 6 degrees. I was using a pretty small box and I just could not get up enough confidence to set eggs in it. Finding a nice electronic thermostat that is reasonaly priced is a challenge. Good luck with your venture.

8. chickbabe

chickbabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Look at pics. I use the thermostat. The trick is to mount it right next to and almost touching a bulb. It's much more sensitive that way. Drilling some extra holes in it helps too. My temps don't swing very much at all, even.when I open bator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by