Hot Water Thermostat HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DreadedMoonMama, Mar 19, 2012.

1. DreadedMoonMama

DreadedMoonMama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    So, I took my thermostat apart to drill the holes in it per the instructions. I didn't think I needed to write down how to put it back together, because seriously, it's like, 3 pieces. Well, I've tried and I've tried but since putting it back together I have yet to get it to shut off. I even turned it all the way down to 90 and it got up to 150 without ever going off. :/ So what did I do wrong putting the stupid thing back together? It should be brainless...there's a little level, a metal disc with writing on one side, and the back. Seriously...how many different ways can there be? Or did I somehow mess the whole thing up while drilling?

2. DreadedMoonMama

Jan 26, 2012
    Ok, I think I figured it out. There was a little black switch that I was missing. Now I get to play with it and see which way that goes in and hopefully it'll work again...

3. DreadedMoonMama

Jan 26, 2012
    Or not. Now that I've put the switch back in, I can't get it to turn on at all. *pulls hair out*

4. DreadedMoonMama

Jan 26, 2012
    Anybody?

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I think you have taken it apart, and lost the black little switch that helps it turn off.

No, drilling the holes didn't mess it up, but taking it apart did. It didn't need to be taken apart to drill the holes. I have taken one apart successfully, but I don't do it anymore.
    If you could get some pictures of it for me, I would like to see the inside of the thermostat, I would like to try and help you.

I recommend just getting a new water heater thermostat if I can't help you. I have a cooler incubator that I have successfully made with a water heater thermostat to control the temperatures. I drilled holes into this thermostat too.

Here is a link to drilling holes into the thermostat.

After you have done this to the NEW water heater thermostat, you will want to look at my page, as it has all of the things I could tell you right here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-chick-factory-incubator

Here is another video explaining how placing the water heater thermostat so close to the light bulb helps it.

6. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Sounds like to me you may have the fork in upside down and I'm not sure about the disk. Try turning it over and see if that helps and in the future don't take it apart, just drill. I think that guy only opened it up so to change that rod which doesn't need changing. Good luck!

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Exactly, I don't think changing the rod helps at all. I have tried it, it wasn't good.

8. DreadedMoonMama

Jan 26, 2012
    I just went out and got a new one. lol It seems to be keeping temperature pretty good, although I still haven't found the magical setting that will get it to 99. lol

9. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    I had to have the HWH around 1.5" from the heat source to get the magic spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by