Hot weater...

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Senna95, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    How do ornamental pheasants do in tropical climates? ie a climate that never has cold weather: just a rainy and a non-rainy season?

2. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    i might be wrong, but arnt alot of ornamental pheasants from the rain forest anyway???

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    right!! [​IMG]

4. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No more of the species come from continental climate zones. Peacock Pheasants, Argus & Fireback pheasants are from subtropical climates.

How do ornamental pheasants do in tropical climates? ie a climate that never has cold weather: just a rainy and a non-rainy season?

I have always lived in the northern USA, so I do not have first hand experience with keeping pheasants in the south. BUT I do have many friends down south that raise birds and some of them do have trouble with high temps in the summer. Impeyans, Eared & Tragopan Pheasants don't like high temps and are best with plenty of shade and air movement or mist systems to keep cool in the summer heat.​

5. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I was thinking specifically about goldens and lady amhearst. I know that they're very winter hardy and do fine here (in Washington state), but what about in climates like southern Florida? Do they need a cold spell to "get in the mood"?

6. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I have both . same as up north. Im in florida

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Those do fine anywhere, only the ones Spectrum listed bare watching here in the south, though there are tons of breeders here with them all. Just do like he said, plenty of water and shade for those. No problem at all on ruffed species though, go for it, they'll be just fine

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:NO COLD SPELLS JUST THE RIGHT NUMBER OF DAYLIGHT HOURS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by