Hot weather, 6 look fine, 1 looks very sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheMainException, Jul 7, 2010.

1. TheMainException

TheMainException Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    I have 7 mixed breed bantams. It's been high 90's and into 100's this week and they are finally getting used to it. The one chicken, however, is doing poorly. I'm not sure what the problem is. Her vent looks clean. Her nostrils are clear. She stopped panting like the rest of them, but I'm not sure that she is eating or drinking. She is preening minimally. While the rest of them are running around and looking for food and chasing bugs (they're free range), she's standing some where. She is often alone while the others walk off and she walks very slowly after them eventually. It's been like this for a few days now and she definitely is feeling lighter than the others. They all seem approximately 4-5 months (I bought them as pullets at an auction, so I don't know how old they are exactly). The rooster just began crowing yesterday morning for the first time.

2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I would bring her inside and give her some tlc. It is usually cool in the basement, if you have one. Give her plenty of cool water and fresh food, maybe some watermellon will temp her. Keep an eye on her to see if she become more distressed.

Keep us posted!

3. TheMainException

TheMainException Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Well, she's in the laundry room now. She just sits where ever I put her or takes a few steps. She still won't eat or drink. At what point should I hand feed her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by